Factors that would cause differing mouse sensitivity on different computers

Started by
11 comments, last by Tokage 19 years ago
I wrote a game a while ago called Hang. Apparently some people are having issues with the mouse sensitivity. They say it's too slow on the menu. What puzzles me is that it appears to be perfectly fine on my computer, and the game uses the system clock to regulate the speed and DirectInput for the mouse, so I'm having difficulty understanding how this could be happening. Any ideas?
Advertisement
People are used to different sensitivity levels. I have to turn mine up on every OS I use. So maybe they're just used to a higher level than you are. I used to use a multiplier with the relative values DirectInput gave me in order to move the pointer myself. Then I could change the multiplier to allow the player to set their preferred sensitivity.
Maybe that's all it is. One guy actually used the word "unplayable" to refer to it, though, and I have a hard time believing that that's just because of personal preference...
Different OS's (especialy between Windows variants, Pre-XP, NT, and XP) have different accuracy system clocks. Some are only accurate to 1 / 18.2 seconds.

just a thought.
When using the system clock to regulate speed did you make sure to clamp it?

It is possible (especialy as you mention its an old game) that running on a faster computer, results in the same system time (I presume milliseconds?) being returned over two frames. If so then there is no time difference and depending on your code that might mean no movement at all.

However eventually the system time will tick over to a new value, at which point you will get some movement. The end result is you might move half as fast, as one frame there is no time difference, and so no movement, whilst the next frame there is 1 ms difference and you move a small amount.
Ah, that's possible. Any idea for a possible solution?
Look up QueryPerformanceCounter and QueryPerformanceFrequency. These timers have a much higher accuracy.
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...
Yeah, for me it is unplayable. I've never had a mouse problem since I started using an Optical mouse a long time ago. The cursor jumps sporadically. Seems like I need to move it alot to get any movement at all, and after it finally moves, it jumps random distances.

I dont have the solution, or even any ideas as to what might be causing it, but I would suggest looking at this source code for a Defender clone, as I know my mouse movement works fine in his fullscreen mode, and he's using DirectX.
I've been told that it might have something to do with the fact that I'm using DirectInput, and that that's something I shouldn't do. I really just want to find a solution to this, but since it's not happening on my computer I can't test it very easily. This is incredibly frustrating. I'm at a loss.

The Defender clone seems to use Visual Basic's mouse procedures for input. Maybe I'm wrong though.
why can't you let the OS make the cursor move, and you just poll its position?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement