Sign in to follow this  
Kaze

A geometry thing

Kaze    948
I am working on a game that’s was originally a isometric (actually square at a 45 deg view) tile system but I decided it would be nice if terrain features didn’t have to end a 90 degree angles. I am looking at a tile/height-map system. I tried it with squares but it didn’t look very nice, I seen most games do it with interlocking hexagons made form triangles or something but I have no idea how to do this, epically mapping character X,Y to a height value. I was also considering have squares made of 4 triangles, would this work? EDIT: If I didn’t make it very clear basically I want terrain that doesn’t look like its made from blocks without increasing the complexity very much

Grizwald    270
Well remember a lot of appearence with tilesets is in the art, not the way its programmed. Hexagon systems are unique, but also a pain in the ass to implement (could be a reason why they are unique?)

I've found that quads split into two triangles work fine for height, but you have to split it the right way or your terrain will look... grainy. Its best of you make the splits along the slope of the hill, or all against the slope of the hill. I'm kinda drunk right now, so I can't really explain it too well, but i'm typing pretty well. :D If you want me to clarify anything, PM me. I give up.