Texture mapped onto quads appears tilted

Started by
7 comments, last by zerocide 19 years ago
Hi all, When I try mapping a texture onto a quad, it appears to be tilted (At approximately a 45 degree angle). Does anyone know how I can fix it? Any unrelated suggestions are also welcome. Thank you. Screenshot at: http://www.zerocide.net/pavel/screen.jpg Coordinates for the wall we're looking at right now: X Y Z U V -500 -200 -500 1 0 -500 800 -500 1 1 500 800 -500 0 1 500 -200 -500 0 0 ** U and V are X and Y texture coordinates, respectively. And here's the drawing code: ==================================== int DrawGLScene(GLvoid) // Here's Where We Do All The Drawing { glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT); // Clear Screen And Depth Buffer glLoadIdentity(); // Reset The Current Modelview Matrix glRotatef(lookupdown, 1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f); glRotatef(-heading, 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f); glTranslatef(-x, -y, -z); float cx, cy, cz; for(int objectIndex = 0; objectIndex < world1.numobjects; objectIndex++) { glNormal3f(world1.objects[objectIndex].normal_x, world1.objects[objectIndex].normal_y, world1.objects[objectIndex].normal_z); if(world1.objects[objectIndex].texture == -1) glColor3ub(world1.objects[objectIndex].color_r, world1.objects[objectIndex].color_g, world1.objects[objectIndex].color_b); else { glColor4f(1, 1, 1, 0.0f); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture[world1.objects[objectIndex].texture]); } glBegin(GL_QUADS); for(int vertexIndex = 0; vertexIndex < 4; vertexIndex++) { cx = (float)world1.objects[objectIndex].vertex[vertexIndex].x; cy = (float)world1.objects[objectIndex].vertex[vertexIndex].y; cz = (float)world1.objects[objectIndex].vertex[vertexIndex].z; cx /= 100.0f; cy /= 100.0f; cz /= 100.0f; if(world1.objects[objectIndex].texture != -1) { glTexCoord2f(world1.objects[objectIndex].vertex[vertexIndex].tx, world1.objects[objectIndex].vertex[vertexIndex].ty); } glVertex3f(cx, cy, cz); } glEnd(); } return TRUE; } ===============================
Advertisement
Hm it looks okay to me. Are you sure you're loading in the coordinates correctly? I'd check that they are what you expect in your call to glTexCoord. You might also want to check if there are any errors using glGetError.

cheers
sam.
Quote:Original post by izzo
Hm it looks okay to me. Are you sure you're loading in the coordinates correctly? I'd check that they are what you expect in your call to glTexCoord. You might also want to check if there are any errors using glGetError.

cheers
sam.

Thanks for your reply :)

The coordinates seem to be loading correctly, and there are no errors with glGetError() at the end of InitGL().
I've tried replacing my drawing code with that from NeHe's site after loading the texture:
glBegin(GL_QUADS);
glNormal3f( 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f); // Normal Pointing Towards Viewer
glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(-1.0f, -1.0f, 1.0f); // Point 1 (Front)
glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f( 1.0f, -1.0f, 1.0f); // Point 2 (Front)
glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f( 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f); // Point 3 (Front)
glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(-1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f); // Point 4 (Front)

glEnd();

... and it's still tilted when the actual .BMP isn't.

I've posted all the code at:
http://www.zerocide.net/pavel/code.txt
What happens if you take out:
glNormal3f( 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f); // Normal Pointing Towards Viewer

I've never seen that called in that fashion before, but then again, I don't do that much OpenGL programming with Normals
Seems like it was one of those "The last place you look" problems... something was wrong with the texture image that I was using... When I tried loading it using NeHe's tutorial #7, it didn't load *at all*. Some other images which I've tested my program with worked perfectly.

Are there any specific restrictions for images to be valid texture images?
Quote:Original post by zerocide
Are there any specific restrictions for images to be valid texture images?

Power of 2 size restriction.
The glNormal call is perfectly normal (haha!). All he's doing is specifying a normal per quad. In fact the initial value of the normal is (0, 0, 1). Also the normals won't affect his texturing.

Hm why are you calling glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D) *after* drawing your quad? That should come before you draw the quad.

I see you call glGenTextures near the start of SetupWorld and store the texture name in the first element of your texture array. Are you sure the first element is being used when you call glBindTexture in your LoadTexture function? Also maybe try taking out the call to gluBuild2DMipmaps.

edit: doh it looks like while I was posting you solved it :)

The thing is, gluBuild2DMipmaps will re-scale the images if they're not power of two, so there must be something else wrong with your images..

sam.
That was the problem, thanks :)

I resized the image to 512x512 and it displayed correctly.
Quote:Original post by izzo
Hm why are you calling glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D) *after* drawing your quad? That should come before you draw the quad.

The code below disables GL_TEXTURE_2D so that I can use a color instead of a texture. I have to enable it after so that textures can be loaded in the future. I agree that it's a little messy, however.. I'll try cleaning up my code later.
if(world1.objects[objectIndex].texture == -1)
{
glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
glColor3ub(world1.objects[objectIndex].color_r, world1.objects[objectIndex].color_g, world1.objects[objectIndex].color_b);
}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement