Sign in to follow this  
boohillie

Visual Studio 6 too old!?!?!

I bought Visual Studio 6 well, quite a while ago, and it has been working fine. But I can't use it anymore with the new DirectX sdk updates. Windows 2000 isn't a supported development platform anymore? Well since I don't have the money at the moment to go buy a new compiler or new version of windows for that matter, is there any way I can continue programming DirctX9 on windows 2000 with the new updates or even Dec. 2004 update? I guess all my old equipment is finally catching up to me.

Hey, im in exactly the same boat as you (win2k / msvs 6) Although ive yet to do it, im thinkin i might keep using my msvs6 ide and just use the free compiler ms is putting up.
you can find a copy of it here... VC++ toolkit 2003

Good luck with that, I'd love to know how it works out for ya as well.

Hello, your question is actually a frequently brought up query. See here in the DirectX forum FAQ for more information. Long story short, you cannot use the Dec 2004 with VC6, I believe the last supported update is the summer 2004 update. As for development OS, win2000 should be a perfectly valid platform.

Also you might wish to look into Visual C++ 2005 Express Beta and here is some extra information on the whole thing. I wonder though, if those who aquired the Beta products would be allowed to release software without any stipulations when the Express line goes gold.

Quote:
Original post by Daerax
As for development OS, win2000 should be a perfectly valid platform.
Not if you want to keep up with the latest DX SDK. As of the Feb'05 release, it no longer supports Windows 2000, and from what I hear, they have no plans to change that in future updates.

Thats interesting, I was unaware of that, thanks for the heads up. Myself, I am still using DirectX 8.1 as the stuff I write needs to be for the lowest common denominator, within reason ofcourse [DirectX 6 as LCD, is just ludicrous [grin]].

I just finished installing the DirectX SDK Feb 2005 update, Visual Studio Toolkit 2003, and the Microsoft SDK. Reconfigured VC6 to use all of those include files and libs, everything seems to work fine, I can still compile my DirectX applications no problem. So I guess that'll work for now, until I can actually afford to upgrade my system.

Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Original post by boohillie
I just finished installing the DirectX SDK Feb 2005 update, Visual Studio Toolkit 2003, and the Microsoft SDK. Reconfigured VC6 to use all of those include files and libs, everything seems to work fine, I can still compile my DirectX applications no problem. So I guess that'll work for now, until I can actually afford to upgrade my system.

Thanks for the help!

I saw a post here not long ago that sugested that the prices for the new Visual Studio 2005, are going to be quite reasonable, if so, wait for VS2k5 to be released and skip VC++2003

What the hell, just pirate Windows XP and VS.NET 2003 and be happy! ;) Spend your money on something more useful, like college or whatever. Believe me, MS won't go bankcrupt after you pirate this stuff. They will be as rich as always, while you won't have your troubles.

P.S. Yeah, yeah, just a joke...

Man, I don't want to open such a discussion here, but believe me - sometimes a person has no other way (and that sentence still sounds pretty weak, but I have my points)... Well, again, I really don't want to discuss it here, cause it won't end well for the thread. And no, my Windows is licened as well as my VS.NET 2003, so don't flame me. Oh, BTW, save me from what? :) I am perfectly safe already :)