Sign in to follow this  
RossGeorge

ID3DXFileSaveObject Interface

Hello all this my first post :) I’ve always found these forums immensely helpful and a majority of the problems I’ve ran into have been solved by a quick browse of the gamedev forums. This time however I can find barely any information about my problem so I thought I’d post it and see if anyone can give me some pointers. What I’m trying to do is take a .X file containing lots of different types of information such as mesh, animation etc… and strip it down to just the definition of the mesh (for reasons I won’t go into now :) ) and export that info into a new .X file. I figured the easy way to do this would be to use the built in DirectX interface ID3DXFile and its member interfaces (CreateEnumObject, CreateSaveObject etc…) . The problem I’m having is when I finally get round to putting the data I want to store into a data buffer and saving it. Here is some code which might clarify things: //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// /*g_pMesh – A LPD3DXMESH filled with the mesh information I’m going to being saving to a .X file.*/ ID3DXFileSaveObject* pXSave = NULL; ID3DXFileSaveData* pXSDataRoot = NULL; ID3DXFileSaveData* pXSDataMesh = NULL; /*Add an empty frame to the XFile:*/ pXSave->AddDataObject( TID_D3DRMFrame, "Scene_Root_Frame", NULL, 0, NULL, &pXSDataRoot ); /*Calculate the number of bytes in the mesh data object:*/ const DWORD NumV = g_pMesh->GetNumVertices(); const DWORD NumF = g_pMesh->GetNumFaces(); const DWORD dByteSize = ( ( 2*sizeof(DWORD) )+( 3*sizeof(float) )*NumV +( 4*sizeof(DWORD) )*NumF ); /*This my (poor) attempt at making a data buffer which contains vertices that are all of value 10.0 and faces that are all of value 5 */ byte* pPtr = new byte[dByteSize]; ZeroMemory( pPtr, dByteSize ); DWORD pPtrIterator = 0; pPtr[pPtrIterator] = NumV; pPtrIterator += sizeof( DWORD ); for (DWORD i = 0; i < NumV*3; i++) { pPtr[pPtrIterator] = 10.0f; pPtrIterator += sizeof( float ); } pPtr[pPtrIterator] = NumF; pPtrIterator += sizeof( DWORD ); for (DWORD i = 0; i < NumF*4; i++) { pPtr[pPtrIterator] = 5; pPtrIterator += sizeof( DWORD ); } /*Finally add a new mesh object to the empty frame we created earlier using the data pointer and save:*/ pXSDataRoot->AddDataObject( TID_D3DRMMesh, "MeshData", NULL, dByteSize, pPtr, &pXSDataMesh ) pXSave->Save(); //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// I have read through the ‘toymaker’ programming tutorial for saving to a .x file and manage to export a simple transform matrix template object but it doesn’t really go into much depth with regard to writing complex template object such as a mesh objects. I tried writing a structure which replicated the mesh template and use that as the data pointer but this was also unsuccessful. Any help will welcome thanks :)

Thanks Trip99 but I have already read that article; it was helpful in respect to saving basic data but it doesn't really demonstrate how to save more complex data.
Thank anyway tho :)

I still haven't been able to figure this problem out so if anyones got any other suggestions I would be grateful.

Ah I see - sorry I did not read your first post through fully. Perhaps I could post you some code I use to export a mesh in an app. PM me if you want it.