Sign in to follow this  
jcullen24

DVD to CD and sound ripping

Hello, I know this is not a game development question directly, but I want to be able to do the following with DVD's 1: I want to be able to copy my DVD's to MPEG and on to CDs. 2: I would like to copy, or rip, the entire sound of a DVD, In essence, make my own audio book. 3: I would like to copy or rip snippets from the DVD, and record them onto MP3s or wave files. What software would perform the functions that I have requested? Is there software in the GNU/Public domain that I could use? Thank you, Jim Cullen

Quote:
Original post by stro
Be very carefull, this sounds awefully like piracy which isn't appreciated here at all. But on the off chance that you have a legitimate (and legal) reason for wanting to rip DVDs Gordian Knot should do most of what you want.

Nope, I want to do several things with my DVD's for my personal enjoyment. I want to rip the entire soundtrack from my favorite movies, to make my own audio Books, that I can listen to on the way to work, and at work.

I want to take snippets(Sound Effects) from favorite movies of mine (Star Trek/Star Wars) so that I can experiment with them in a game context.

I'm a hobbiest, I like to tinker. I'm sure I'll never make the next DOOM5, But I come up with a concept, and go from there.

just realize that you cant dsitribute any of those audio books you make nor distribute the sounds you sample from the dvds. So you can use them in your game, but cant distribute them with your game if you decide to release your game at any point (even if the game is freeware).

For game sounds you are probably better off buying one of those audio sample libraries that has royalty free samples. while i dont know which are the good ones, I do know they are what many game companies and movie studios use for some sound effects (though the company may modify the sounds to match closer to what they want).