how to create a beam of light

Started by
4 comments, last by mirex 19 years ago
does anyone know how to create the effect of a light beam, i don't want it to be strong a bit like the light beam from the BATMAN movies where the light points into the sky. or the beam from a spotlight pointing towards the ground, so that if your looking at it side on you see a cone shape beam
Advertisement
Check out Light Shafts by Jason Mitchell. It is possible to achieve very nice results with that technique, but it is fillrate intensive.
In Quake 3 it was just a mesh with an appropriate shader. IIRC, the shader was translucent white with maybe some swirling dust particles, etc. Of cource that was a while ago - more recent games may employ more sophisticated methods. But the Quake 3 method might be a good place to start.
NeHe hosts a demo of some cheap light beams - under S in the downloads section. I have never checked this out so I dont know if it is entirely suitable.
Sorry. That was me. Mistakingly posted as AP. Here is the correct message with the links.

NeHe hosts a demo of some cheap light beams - under S in the downloads section. I have never checked this out so I dont know if it is entirely suitable.
maybe just a white/yellow little transparent cylinder mesh would do ...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement