Rust (Public Demo)

Started by
13 comments, last by BlackMoons 19 years ago
Hi there! Just thought it could be of some interest for you. Our team Head&Hands Games spent some months doing stuff (a third person view arcade shooter actually), named it Rust and put to http://www.rust-game.com for you to have some fun. Hope you'll find it worthy. Yours, Vadim Zabrodin.
Advertisement
I'm unable to download it right now, but man, those screens look sweet! [smile]
The G'Bro GameDev Society! -The Southeastern US GameDev Gathering Group
I'm sorry to bother you, but we would like to hear some responses from you (your opinion about appearance, gameplay, and other parts of "Rust").
very very nice! I enjoyed that immensely, although i was playing after a heavy night on the ale and all the spinning made me feel kinda queasy! :-) Loved the bgm. Did you put that together yourselves?
2 Fahrenheit451:

You may look at the list of all people participating in the project in "Credits" section of the Rust's "main menu" :)))
Pictures looks very nice, but I keep getting the message "installer corrupted or incomplete" when I try to run the installer. I tried downloading it twice too. Could you just post a .zip file perhaps? I've never really been fond of installers anyways.
A view of the game is quite good, but feel the game operation is not very comfortable.
Like zuren, I think it looked wonderful, but I disliked the controls. At the very least, I was deserately wishing for a strafe ability; navigating without it was tedious. Although I'd actually prefer at least a degree of decreased inertia; make the ships always try to follow their line of sight at least somewhat, rather than just following standard inertial physics entirely. I had a hard time doing anything other than bouncing off of walls and people, and I doubt I'd care enough about the game to try to become more skilled at that style of controls/physics. Also, the precision of the ship rotation was a little lacking. I had a hard time actually aiming at someone. I tap the left or right keys just once quickly, and I'd already be shooting on the other side of an enemy; they were in a hole where I couldn't aim. I'd have to wait until one of us drifted or moved enough so that my bullets could hit them again.

And the text on my screen was incredibly small (at 1024x768x32, on a 14" widescreen (so technically 1280x768, but with edges blacked out) laptop LCD). Like descriptions, mouse-hover text tips, and such. It was like four or five pixels high, and one to four pixels wide. Difficult to read. I think that was the reason it took me a little bit of effort getting into the actual game. And I still don't really know what the whole shop, equip, whatever else screens were about. Probably because I didn't try to hard to read the text.
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
The game gfx and sound, are really really good, the music i love it, it really fits the game.
On the other hand, the controls are a bit weird.., i also kept bouncing around in the walls, maybe you guys could drecrease a bit the acceleration faster to avoid it, or maybe add a "arcade" mode, where there's no acceleration at all.
The blue flickering letters, on the equip ship part, were indeed hard to read, i couldn't also understand whats is written there.
Keep it up, i have a feeling its gonna be a great game :):)
I tried downloading it through IE (before I was using FireFox) and the download went fine. Anyways, I thought the game was pretty nice. I was getting 30-50 fps on my 1.4Ghz Pentium M w/ a Intel Integrated Graphics card on "High" Quality.
I didn't really like the control scheme, and I wanted the camera to be more behind the ship (like in F-Zero). Otherwise, Nice job!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement