.net or c++

Started by
25 comments, last by Saruman 19 years ago
My concerns with C# have been the need for the .NET framework. Is it a non issue I've blown out of proportion? For small games, the framework would probably wind up being a larger download then the game itself. The other drawback that comes to mind with C#/.net is it's cloudy future; will it be adopted outside of windows?. Right now you lose out on any ability to be cross platform (I don't believe mono will work for games). Does anyone have any thoughts?
Advertisement
c++ stardard can be used to write
PC
XBOX
PLAYSTATION
NINTENDO
GAME BOY
THE CELL PHONE
THE PDA
A REFRIDGERATOR AND MICROWAVE ( ok maybe u cant do this with all fridges )

.NET can be used to write
PC
maybe UNIX/LINUX using MONO and being carefull

this isnt easy and most of theese ports require a few mandatory API calls but...
porting a .NET app to a playstation just isnt possible.
The more you use c# with .NET the more your locking yourself into windows the bigger the program gets.

c++ is also 20+ years old ( more standardized, more portable )
c# and .NET are only a few years old

c++ IS FASTER ( no garbage collection etc.. )
c++ gives you more control over low level details ( pointer arithmatic etc... )

C# is less low level ( can be good and bad )
C# you can write aplications faster ( GOOD )
C# no telling if you will be able to port it ( BAD )

but... Unless your gonna write and app that must port to PS2 and GameCube and PC
and XBOX and must display 100000000000000 polygons on the screen at all times and ....

a big company wont use c# for years because it will mean money lost in difficulty of porting until C# can prove itself capable of running in multiple enviroments.

IF YOUR NOT A BIG COMPANY WHO CARES ??????????????
use what you like.
You can bring up 2 topics that will get ALOT of posts, Which API is better and Wich language is better

DISCLAMER:
I have tried to make this post as unintrusive as possible if you are going to have a problem with people saying they prefer to use c++ over c# DONT READ IT cause as a poster i am totally "put-off" by flame wars and usually dont read the topic and i think this is a good topic for people to read so that they can see the pros and cons

Personally i like c++ because I'm more comfortable with it and I like the syntax of it. I also like using c++ because it forces me to invent the wheel (yes thats right i want to do that) i think this is a good thing because im not REinventing the weel if i really dont know how it works in the first place then I do gain somthing from it. After i know how all the diffrent game structures and how they do what they do then i MIGHT switch to somthing like c# (but probibly not because by then i will have written my own classes witch i would understand better anyway) Its sort of like getting a package of cookie dough or making it from scratch, they both turn out great cookies but if you use homemade you know what goes into it and how you might improve it.

____________________________"This just in, 9 out of 10 americans agree that 1 out of 10 americans will disagree with the other 9"- Colin Mochrie
Quote:Original post by hamo32
greetings game comunity!

I was wondering on your opinion on .net and c++. Ive never programmed in .net before because im a c++ user, but ive been always wondering wich one is better when programming games.
Please share your opinions on this topic.

thanks

use C++, if you mean .net as in msvc 7, then use 7, but you can still programm c++ apps in .net
Thanhda TieDigital Shock, Technical Director & Business Relations15-75 Bayly Street West, Suite #173Ajax, Ontario, L1S 7K7Tel: 416.875.1634http://www.digitalshock.net
What I don't understand is why people try to mention consoles and portability when using C#? Are people really that stupid?

In software engineering you learn to use the right tool for the job. That being said if you are writing a game for PC only like 100% of the other indies out there than it is fair to say that you could use either C# or C++ and it doesn't make a difference whatsoever.

The main purpose of the C# language is to create applications for future Windows platforms and to be the native .NET language. It is just an extra bonus that it will run on other platforms such as Linux, etc... but it is truely not meant for that.

I mean wtf why even mention consoles and anything else because C# is not meant for that.. it is not a general purpose language, it is meant for specific tasks.

ugh no wonder Oluseyi gets so sick of seeing crud like this thread posted.
if your post was meant for what i said plz reread this one part

IF YOUR NOT A BIG COMPANY WHO CARES ??????????????
use what you like.
Quote:Original post by Raymond_Porter420
if your post was meant for what i said plz reread this one part

My post was actually agreeing with you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement