Sign in to follow this  
valla2

Bachelor: how much does it count?

I have a question on this matter. There are many titles for a bachelor in the field of computers. Different universities name their departments differently, even though if you look at their lessons all of them basically teach the same thing. For example, there is the degree in Computer Science, and the degree in Informatics. In a university of a different country they may name/translate in English their department differently than what someone would expect in the US. Computer and Electrical Engering is something completely different ok, but there are equivalent titles to Computer Science like Computer Enginering and Informatics ( isn't this CS, anyways? ), or you could find it as Informatics and Telecomunications. There are many others too. So my question is, when you apply for a job, do they see the TITLE of your study, even though it can be the same as CS? ( especially the one of Computer Engeniring and Informatics ) thanks

From what I've heard, the most important thing about a degree is that you have one. The specific field of study is of course also important, but to a much lesser degree than the fact that you have one at all. Also, most job ads I've seen say something like "CS, EE, or equiv" so something like "computer engineering" should be fine.

Quote:
Original post by valla2
do they see the TITLE of your study, even though it can be the same as CS?

They see whatever you want them to see - you write your own resume and hand it to them yourself. If you put informatics or whatever on it then they'll see it. Will they care? I doubt many employers will count you out because of the name of your degree - most will probably just ask you about it. As long as you can make it clear what skillset you have, and the employers wants those skills the name shouldn't make a difference.

Wild guess, but if you're dutch and following courses "Informatica", it's "Computer Science" in English.

And from what I hear, (but do not take my word for it :P) it's worth taking your Master. More I dare not say :P

Guest Anonymous Poster
if you're from the german speaking areas then i must say unfortunately a bachelor's degree in informatics or cs (i would say they are equivalent. there are only different flavours like applied cs, financial cs, information engineering etc) isn't worth so much.
i do have some experience with it.. and in the german/swiss/austrian area people are still very much focussed on the diploma. at least they want you to have a master's degree.. situation is getting a little better over time.. if you're just starting go with the bachelor/master thing.. it will be common when you're done. currently getting a job with a university's bachelor is not so easy.
for positions a bachelor would be 'suitable' people tend to get programmers with a 4 year diploma (from a fach-hochschule).
again.. this only applies in the german area..

in general i have to say that the reputation of the bachelor's degree is very much dependent on the location you're living in.

Yes i know a have to get a Master too, because as you said only one diploma is not enough. However it matters if your study was 4 or 5 years, doesn't it? Are 5 year studies considered as masters too?

thanks for the input..

Guest Anonymous Poster
and no. forget about the title. really. make sure you have the right skills for your soon-to-be job. whether it says cs, ie, applied cs or something else in this field doesn't matter as long as you're good enough.
i'd even say that for quite a number of industries guys with a physics/chemistry/bio degree are as interesting for tech-related positions as the traditional cs people. don't give too much about the name.. make the grades right :)

Guest Anonymous Poster
no they are not. a master (in middle europe) guarantees that you have been studying 5 years. a diploma can be obtained in 4 years (not at university.. but at fach-hochschule). also universities are eager to seperate masters from diplomas. they are regarded something very different buy scholars.

One big debate in Canada is the title of Software Engineering.

Real engineers want this title removed as software engineers aren't real engineers and they use the title imporperly. Real engineers need to take courses in fluid mechanics and thermodynamics:).

As far as North America is concerned there are no valid software engineering degrees being offer, only computer science degrees. If you want to get hired don't use the term engineer:) It may offend your interviewer.

Cheers
Chris

Quote:
Original post by chollida1
One big debate in Canada is the title of Software Engineering.

Real engineers want this title removed as software engineers aren't real engineers and they use the title imporperly. Real engineers need to take courses in fluid mechanics and thermodynamics:).

As far as North America is concerned there are no valid software engineering degrees being offer, only computer science degrees. If you want to get hired don't use the term engineer:) It may offend your interviewer.
Actually, Texas passed a law requiring a professional exam and certification in order to use the term "engineer" in your title.

Your degree doesn't always matter, though. Your skills always do. A lot people in the software development industry actually have liberal arts degrees (like I will in eight weeks!), so while you should focus on acquiring the necessary certifications, make sure that you acquire and demonstrate the necessary skills.

Quote:
Original post by valla2
Ok i see thanks :)

Are there universities in the US that have departments in Informatics?

And are 1)Computer Science and 2)Informatics and different?

thanks
Yup, my school has different departments for both: CS and Informatics. But yeah, like what everyone else has said here, it's your skills that matter. A degree is worthless if you come out an idiot.

Quote:
Original post by valla2
So my question is, when you apply for a job, do they see the TITLE of your study, even though it can be the same as CS? ( especially the one of Computer Engeniring and Informatics )

Some employers care more, others care less. Today, several (games) companies screen prospective employees using an email test of some 10 questions (or so). If you do well on these questions, you get a phone interview. If you do well on the phone interview, they bring you in-house for a full interview.

The strength in this approach is that the email test puts everyone on equal footing. It doesn't matter whether you have a degree or not: as long as you have the skills they are looking for, you have a shot at that job.

However, having said that, with a (bachelors or masters) degree in computer science (or math) you typically stand a better chance than than the average applicant without a degree. Typically, but not necessarily.

When your degree definitely matters is if you're in, say, Europe, and want to be considered for a job in the US. Unless you have an advanced degree you stand little chance of getting in (the alternative is to have "exceptional skill" in the field, which practically means years and years of actual experience in the field).

So, in summary: there are companies who do not care whether you have a bachelor's degree, however, you should still get one, because you will learn tons, and it will give you (assuming we're talking a general CS degree) skills that are applicable to any (CS) profession (which is great when you find out that games isn't all fun and games, like you thought it would be).

Ok guys thanks for your information :)

Just something last. Without knowing the courses they teach in each departement, what title would you prefer for a ( not nessecarily game )programmer?
Computer Engineering and Informatics
Computer Science
?
I know that it /generally/ doesn't matter, but i am just too curious...
I ask because it seems to me that CS is basiccally what the first title describes; i don't see any difference...?..

edit: Informatics is based on programming on a huge scale, so..

in germany an master isnt that much worth, although its like beginning the same education way again after getting the bachelor

sure its more worth than an Diploma (FH) but im lucky to be one of the last who can make his Diploma (Uni), cause its much harder as what bachelors learn, but far more intresting (espacily math)

but internationaly it may be harder to convince companys about how good a diploma (uni) is, but luckyly the title isnt looked at that much

in my thoughts CS was like theoretical Informatic, is this wrong?