Bachelor: how much does it count?

Started by
15 comments, last by Becko 19 years ago
I have a question on this matter. There are many titles for a bachelor in the field of computers. Different universities name their departments differently, even though if you look at their lessons all of them basically teach the same thing. For example, there is the degree in Computer Science, and the degree in Informatics. In a university of a different country they may name/translate in English their department differently than what someone would expect in the US. Computer and Electrical Engering is something completely different ok, but there are equivalent titles to Computer Science like Computer Enginering and Informatics ( isn't this CS, anyways? ), or you could find it as Informatics and Telecomunications. There are many others too. So my question is, when you apply for a job, do they see the TITLE of your study, even though it can be the same as CS? ( especially the one of Computer Engeniring and Informatics ) thanks
Advertisement
From what I've heard, the most important thing about a degree is that you have one. The specific field of study is of course also important, but to a much lesser degree than the fact that you have one at all. Also, most job ads I've seen say something like "CS, EE, or equiv" so something like "computer engineering" should be fine.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
what about a degree in "Informatics"?
Quote:Original post by valla2
do they see the TITLE of your study, even though it can be the same as CS?

They see whatever you want them to see - you write your own resume and hand it to them yourself. If you put informatics or whatever on it then they'll see it. Will they care? I doubt many employers will count you out because of the name of your degree - most will probably just ask you about it. As long as you can make it clear what skillset you have, and the employers wants those skills the name shouldn't make a difference.
Ok i see thanks :)

Are there universities in the US that have departments in Informatics?

And are 1)Computer Science and 2)Informatics and different?

thanks
Wild guess, but if you're dutch and following courses "Informatica", it's "Computer Science" in English.

And from what I hear, (but do not take my word for it :P) it's worth taking your Master. More I dare not say :P
if you're from the german speaking areas then i must say unfortunately a bachelor's degree in informatics or cs (i would say they are equivalent. there are only different flavours like applied cs, financial cs, information engineering etc) isn't worth so much.
i do have some experience with it.. and in the german/swiss/austrian area people are still very much focussed on the diploma. at least they want you to have a master's degree.. situation is getting a little better over time.. if you're just starting go with the bachelor/master thing.. it will be common when you're done. currently getting a job with a university's bachelor is not so easy.
for positions a bachelor would be 'suitable' people tend to get programmers with a 4 year diploma (from a fach-hochschule).
again.. this only applies in the german area..

in general i have to say that the reputation of the bachelor's degree is very much dependent on the location you're living in.
Yes i know a have to get a Master too, because as you said only one diploma is not enough. However it matters if your study was 4 or 5 years, doesn't it? Are 5 year studies considered as masters too?

thanks for the input..
and no. forget about the title. really. make sure you have the right skills for your soon-to-be job. whether it says cs, ie, applied cs or something else in this field doesn't matter as long as you're good enough.
i'd even say that for quite a number of industries guys with a physics/chemistry/bio degree are as interesting for tech-related positions as the traditional cs people. don't give too much about the name.. make the grades right :)
no they are not. a master (in middle europe) guarantees that you have been studying 5 years. a diploma can be obtained in 4 years (not at university.. but at fach-hochschule). also universities are eager to seperate masters from diplomas. they are regarded something very different buy scholars.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement