HELP!! Finally entering the world of 3D

Started by
5 comments, last by JohnHurt 19 years ago
Hi, I have, for the past few months, been doing no other programming except doing small 2d games and I think that all those experiences will suffice. Now I would like to ask for advice about what should I study next to learn to make 3d games. As for books, a bookstore near us had the ff: 3d Math Primer For Graphics and Game Development Tricks of the 3d game programming gurus Programming Role Playing Games w/ DirectX (1st Ed.) OpenGl Game Programming (1st Ed.) ...and others more but are geared more towards specialization of certain topics. Now I have heard from reviews on amazon and here in the gamedev books section that 3d Math Primer is what I should get first before learning any 3d API. Also, I've seen that Tricks 2 also contains a Math chapter. I'm wondering that if I am to buy Tricks 2, will the Math chapter be equally useful compare to having 3d Math Primer? cause I don't want to potentially waste my money on redundant information (I honestly don't have that much). In regards to buying Tricks 2, they said that you will understand Direct3d or OpenGl easily when you're done with the book. Is this a shortcut or I'm better of learning the math and going directly to a 3d API? Anyway please give me advice on this one. Not just about book choices but what should I look out for overall when I'm entering the world of 3d. THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE!!
Advertisement
.... What level of math have you taken in school?

I have been through calculus and never needed a book to do any calculations in my 3D programs >.>
Considering it seems you do have experience programming, I'd first try free, online tutorials. For 3D programming, the most well known is probably NeHe (http://nehe.gamedev.net - OpenGL Tutorials). If you programmed those 2D games in any other language than C (or C++), try http://www.cplusplus.com's tutorial for the language NeHe uses.

And if you followed highschool (or are following), your math skills should be proficient enough. (Well, mine are.)
Most high schools don't teach you linear algebra. You need to know about vectors, matrices, affine transforms, and the dot and cross product special cases for 3D. It'll be easy to pick up if you're mathematically inclined, though.

I second the recommendation for NeHe Tutorials -- lots of people get their start there. Once you're through the first 15 or so, I recommend reading the OpenGL specification from cover to cover.

An alternative is Drunken Hyerna's DirectX tutorials, and then the intro sessions and documentations in the DirectX SDK, if you swing that way.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Hi again,

Thanks for the wonderful fast reply guys! I really appreciate it. To start, the maths I've taken are basic algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. No, I haven't learned linear alebra yet. I don't want to sound rush but will finishing the online tutorials be enough? If ever you guys had any book recommendations on what I've mentioned previously, then please cite it and probably I'll buy it even if it's too soon because there are limited stocks! And God only knows when the next batch will come.

THANKS AGAIN VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE!!
Hmm. If you can do the maths in Chapter four of the 3D Rasterisation Tricks book...you are certainly capable of doing 3D.

The only thing I had real trouble with( despite learning how to find the intersection of two lines ) was coming to terms( no pun intended! ) with the "Imaginary Number"! %_%

Also, don't forget the Maths World website...

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

All I can add to this is that if you can get your head round vectors and matrices you'll be ok. Also, I would recommend possibly starting to learn OpenGL using GLUT or SDL, that way you dont have to get your hands dirty trying to set up your windows and screen modes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement