Sign in to follow this  
Marz

More Slot machine issues

Marz    150
Hi I'm using VB6 to create a slot machine. So far it's working well but I have 1 small problem. The slot machine has nine boxes. It pays out if any 3 of these boxes rolls 7. I can't figure out how to check for this. if i use the following it keeps finding the same 7 over 3 times. for i = 0 to 8 if box(i).picture = imaage(7) and box(i).picture = imaage(7)And box(i).picture = imaage(7) Then you win end if next i I am sure this is simple for you long time programers but for a newbie like me it's got me baffeled. I would greatly appreciate some insight. Please use layman's terms. thank you. the two posts I got from this question were very helpful. BUT Just count how many sevens you've got. Your code only tests for a single box being a 7 (if box i is a 7, then all 3 box(i).picture == imaage(7) are true!) count = 0 for i = 0 to 8 if box(i).picture == imaage(7) Then count = count + 1 next i if count >= 3 Then you win end if This allows me to award any 3 sevens but I can't light up the squares around the sevens as I know not where they are. any input would be greatly appreciated.

raptorstrike    181
i would assume that all the pictures you are drawing have coordaninths (y wouldnt they) so all you have to do is

if box(i).picture == imaage(7) Then count = count + 1

then

box(i).picture = Light_Up_7Box.

i think this is what your asking (i dont know VB but hopefully you can inturpret what i mean

patient =)

Marz    150
yeah but that will light up the seven even if there is one. ..keep it coming please. you helping a lot.

Marz    150
This is what i have now. It plays the music when there are 3 or more sevens but it only lights up the last seven.

For i = 0 To 8
If box(i).Picture = Image1(2) Then
sevencount = sevencount + 1
End If
If sevencount > 2 Then
Label1(i).Visible = True **label is the light up box**
Retval = PlaySound("C:\Documents and Settings\Trent Hogan\Desktop\sounds\win", 0, 1)
End If
Next i

Zahlman    1682
This is what I was trying to tell you before, corrected because it hadn't occurred to me that you don't want to highlight sevens if the player loses ;)

' *Highlight* and count every box with a seven in it.
For i = 0 To 8
Label1(i).Visible = True
End If
Next i

' Ok, now see if the player won.

If sevencount < 3 Then
' Oops, not enough sevens, so unhighlight everything.
For i = 0 To 8
Label1(i).Visible = False
Next i
Else
' There were enough sevens, so we play the sound.
' Doing things this way makes sure we don't call PlaySound more than once
' if there are more than three sevens.
Retval = PlaySound("C:\Documents and Settings\Trent Hogan\Desktop\sounds\win", 0, 1)
End If

Of course, this is a bit silly; since we have to check again anyway, we may as well do highlighting in the second pass:

' Just count every box with a seven in it.
For i = 0 To 8
End If
Next i

' Ok, now see if the player won.

If sevencount >= 3 Then
' There are enough sevens, so we play the sound,
' and we must also go back and highlight all the sevens.
For i = 0 To 8
Label1(i).Visible = True
End If
Next i
End If

The reason your code won't work is that by the time you determine that there are enough sevens, you have already passed by the first two sevens, so it is too late to highlight them. There isn't really any way around this: you need to do the processing in two separate passes.