• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

sdl opengl gtk intigration

This topic is 4712 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi im going to make a litle level editor for my game. I want to make it as plattform independent as possebly. I am already using SDL and opengGL for my rendering, so still want to be able to use this. And I think GTK+ looks like a good api too learn. Now the question :P How hard is it to integrate a opengl window in GTK ? If anybody got some good links to give me that would have been great. Also any reasons not to use GTK for this? Thats all folk;

Advertisement
This might help. Google for more.

Or you could just make your widget library yourself with SDL-GL and make it even more platform independent.

Another thing I was thinking about is this:

Should I make the "3dview + 2views of the editor" its own application?
And have an other one with GTK where I use the controls, like "create new box"
and such.

The 2 seperate applications could communicate throught sockets.. (using
SDLNet to make its protable .. )

Does this sound like a viable plan?

GTK is a good API and with gtkmm it is very convenient to use with C++ too but I've heard it suffers from some stability problems on Windows. Personally I've never run into them but many people have complained. An alternative (if you use C++) might be wxWidgets. It has a built-in OpenGL widget (wxGLCanvas).

In fact, gtk has a widget for embedding GL in a window.

Google for gtkglarea.

Although this won't necessarily apply to you, but when I coded my editor I tried gtk first, but I didn't like it. Although this might just be me, I found its windows implementation pretty damn buggy. I then moved to wxwidgets (then wxwindows) and never looked back.

It's up to you though, and it probably depends on your codebase. One thing I miss about gtk is its nice procedural model. wxwidgets is hardcore OOP, although it's possible to work around that.

edit: I just noticed Clash Rocker's link to gtkglext. I seem to remember it being more up to date than gtkglarea so ignore my advice :)

- baldurk

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement