Sign in to follow this  
Stutesman

WinXP

Ok this a bit off topic for these forums but you guys always seem to have the answers I need. So anyway i have a Gateway PC i bought with windows 98 on it. the harddrive eventually crashed and now makes a nice paperweight, but the Gateway didnt come with a Win98 install disk, just a system restore thing. As my warrenty had long expired i borrowed a disk from a friend and reinstalled 98, he also gave me his WinXP upgrade disk. Now my comp has all kind of fatal errors in it, i have found the path to fixing my problems is as simple as downloading the latest patches from WindowsUpdate, but as my XP disk is borrowed i cannot access WindowsUpdate. so anyway my question is if I buy an upgrade copy of XP and use a borrowed copy of 98 to install from, will this get me access to Update or must i buy the full $300 version? thanks so much for your time Stutesman

I think if you have no disk then you'll have to buy it...
But I'm not sure about the preinstalled 98... At least you owned it once...
"borrowing" isn't legal as far as I know...

i know that 'borrowing' the windows disk isnt exactly legal, but i did pay for windows 98 and see no reason that i should have to pay for it again. I only installed the borrowed XP while the owner was present to deside if i thought it would be worth the upgrade.
Now i would like to upgrade (i can afford $89 but not $300) but im not sure that i can without my own win 98 cd-key. did gateway screw me over or what?