Sign in to follow this  
silverphyre673

png loading

I need to make a function that loads .PNG images. I'm not sure where to look to find out how they are stored, however; I tried wotsit.org but I didn't find anyting I could use. Could someone point me to a site that has a clear description of exactly how they are stored... or alternatively a single function (not a whole library, I ONLY need to know how to load PNGs) in c++, preferably, that accomplishes this? Thanks.

Quote:
Original post by silverphyre673
or alternatively a single function (not a whole library, I ONLY need to know how to load PNGs)

Importing a library won't really hurt you; you can always strip the executable.

As mentioned, libpng (this link is 'more direct' ;) ) is a full library but only deals with PNGs. This gives you a lot more options in your code than a single magic "vector<char> loadPNG(string filename)", or whatever interface you were thinking of having; who knows what exactly you'd get back in that case, or how easily adaptable it would be to the rest of your code?

Will I be able to use it w/ dev-cpp without a big hassle? Where do I put the files to include it into my project? Sorry - every time I try and use a library like this, it seems not to work. Hmmmm... I'm just 16, no classes or anything yet, and everyone has to learn sometime right? So, how would I use it?

Thanks.

Quote:
Will I be able to use it w/ dev-cpp without a big hassle?

Yes, you can download the libpng "package" for dev-cpp using the update tool (you should see an option in the tools menu). Download the package and dev-cpp should install it for you [cool]

Quote:
Original post by setaglib
Quote:
Will I be able to use it w/ dev-cpp without a big hassle?

Yes, you can download the libpng "package" for dev-cpp using the update tool (you should see an option in the tools menu). Download the package and dev-cpp should install it for you [cool]

As long as you don't try to build it from source by hand [lol] That went horrible for me...