Sign in to follow this  
Roof Top Pew Wee

Can't get MDX/C# full screen apps to alt tab. Any samples?

I've googled about 4 or 5 tutorials on building full screen apps, but they all throw exceptions when alt tabbing. The only tutorial I've found that does it properly is in the DirectX SDK called EmptyProject, but it's hardly an "empty" project, consisting of quite a few files and considerable code for switching devices, the GUI controls, etc. So, rather than posting my code and asking what's wrong with it (which I've tried unsuccessfully), does anyone have a link to a fullscreen tutorial using MDX and C#, or perhaps a template or project that makes a stable full screen app? Thanks, --Vic--

barakus    205
Well, i can give you my reset code if you want but it crashes after alt tabbing twice if you have a vertex buffer created on the default pool.
Though I think that might be a bug in managed directX.

Exactly! Mine does the exact same thing, and it seems almost everyone else's code does as well. So perhaps I should ask, has anyone been able to alt tab fullscreen apps with Pool.Default VBs? I can get alt tab to work all day long when the VBs are made in the Pool.Managed space. I've tried it without touching the VB on reset, as well as with Disposing on OnDeviceLost and recreating it on OnDeviceReset. Both don't work. But if there are no Default VBs, everything works beautifully.

I'm really surprised this isn't a bigger issue, unless I've missed tons of posts on it. Fullscreen apps and Dynamic VBs (which must be on Default space) are how almost all games work, for speed purposes, so it would seem natural that this is how the release version of most software is made.

--Vic--