VS C++ 7 Debugger is driving me crazy!

Started by
2 comments, last by Dave Hunt 19 years ago
Is there a way to get the the VS 6 debugger in Visual Studio 7 (.Net)? All the error messages are vague, they might as well write something like "Error C0000: something went wrong". Is there a patch to make VS 6 ANSI compatable?
"Think you Disco Duck, think!" Professor Farnsworth
Advertisement
What do the error messages have to do with the debugger? If you post specific error messages, maybe we can help you. As for your question - no, not that I know of.
basically I have a rogue pointer somewhere, which I found out by loading my code into VS 6. The issue is, that I was wondering if there was an option in VS 7 to go back to the VS 6 interface but retain ANSI compatability, or a patch to improve the debugger.

Anyway, I'm trying to access a member of a class using a pointer.
The pointer is invalid.
From looking at the debugger window (the variable one) the pointer appears fine.

In VS 6 I can check which function called the pointer, which function called that function, all the way up to main. I can also look at the memory address and see instantly that it is invalid.

My $100 Student Compiler is faster, smaller, and easier to use then the $1000+ bloated mess I'm attempting to work with, so I am wondering if there is a way to make this sin against programming any easier to work with.

"Think you Disco Duck, think!" Professor Farnsworth
Quote:Original post by Horatius83
The issue is, that I was wondering if there was an option in VS 7 to go back to the VS 6 interface but retain ANSI compatability, or a patch to improve the debugger.

No, there isn't any such patch.

Quote:In VS 6 I can check which function called the pointer, which function called that function, all the way up to main.

You can do exactly the same with VS7. Assuming the default window layout, the call stack is in the bottom right window. The first line is where the error was caught. The second line is the call to the first, the third line is the call to the second, and so on.

Quote:I can also look at the memory address and see instantly that it is invalid.

You should be able to do that in VS7, as well. You should see something like "invalid" for any invalid pointer in the variables list.

Quote:My $100 Student Compiler is faster, smaller, and easier to use then the $1000+ bloated mess I'm attempting to work with, so I am wondering if there is a way to make this sin against programming any easier to work with.

I've found VS7 as easy as VS6, although it did take some time to get used to after so many years with VS6.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement