Sign in to follow this  
jordi_0071

what's next?

jordi_0071    138
hey i was wondering when i finnished my C++ book what do i have to learn next? so no console anymore! maybe win32? if so, i dont wanna spend money on books for a while because i just buyed this book. can anyone help me?

Alan Kemp    772
How about taking a look at SDL? Its a simple enough 2d API that doesn't require you to know loads of windows code, but is powerful enough to create some good 2d games. Take a look, the documentation on the site (and a google search) should provide enough information to get started.

Alan

It's possible, but frankly, it's a little awkward. You'll have problems like your screen flickering when you redraw, and performance will be bad. If you're looking to getting into making more powerful, efficient games, then you're well on your way having finished a C++ book.

My suggested approach to anyone who is looking to make games is to "ease" into game programming by starting with a pure programming book (if the individual has never had any programming experience), as you've done, and then start changing the subject matter so that you start dealing with game development issues.

You have a few options. If you're looking at getting into the basic theory of game development, you may consider a text-based game. This will teach you about how to organize and manage your game objects (in this case, probably characters with stats). However, if you're like me and want to move into graphics, you may consider either toying around with a graphical API, or perhaps a game engine.

I personally use DirectX, but that's not to say it's better than OGL. Both are good, both are documented well, so let's leave it at that and stop a flame war.

There are also some good game/graphics engines out there that you could play around with if you want to get right into game development and skip having to learn DX or OGL. I recommend the FlatRedBall engine, simply because I'm associated with it: FlatRedBall Link . Again, there are others.

Way to go on finishing a C++ book though. You're making great progress.

--Vic--

philipptr    260
Quote:
Original post by Roof Top Pew Wee
It's possible, but frankly, it's a little awkward. You'll have problems like your screen flickering when you redraw, and performance will be bad.

You mean with SDL? Im using SDL with doublebuffer and it works fine for me (no flickering and if it runs on 100% of 2.8ghz >300 fps on a 320*200 window with ca.250 images)

When i finished learingn c++ for school i startet SDL too, and i really like it.
You have Input (mouse,keyboard,joystick), Output (2d, and 3d), Audio and Timer-functions in one library and its, in my opinion, pretty easy.
Though i dont know any good english tutorials. I think, http://andrew.textux.com/tutorials/tut1/tutorial1.html is a bit complicated and shows stuff you dont really need, but Im not a very good coder so I guess you could try it [wink]

(Off topic but i dont want to open a new thread: how do i make links in the post?)

jbadams    25712
Quote:
Original post by philipptr
Quote:
Original post by Roof Top Pew Wee
It's possible, but frankly, it's a little awkward. You'll have problems like your screen flickering when you redraw, and performance will be bad.

You mean with SDL? Im using SDL with doublebuffer and it works fine for me (no flickering and if it runs on 100% of 2.8ghz >300 fps on a 320*200 window with ca.250 images)

(Off topic but i dont want to open a new thread: how do i make links in the post?)

He means with pure Win32.

You can use regular HTML anchor tags to create links (or embed images, but try not to do that without need). Google it if you don't know how, there are loads of HTML tutorials out there.

Oh, and I'll second SDL. They tell me the Cone3D tutorials are quite good.

Rob Loach    1504
You don't need to know Win32 programming to do something with SDL. It manages all that for you. I'd recommend doing a simple pong clone with SDL before anything.

Quote:
Original post by Kazgoroth
They tell me the Cone3D tutorials are quite good.
I'd have to disagree. Some of the solutions they take are just horrendous. The sprites, for example, they load each tile from a different file each into an array. A better way to do it would be to load one file containing all the sprites into one surface, then blit through each one when needed.

jbadams    25712
Quote:
Original post by Rob Loach
You don't need to know Win32 programming to do something with SDL. It manages all that for you. I'd recommend doing a simple pong clone with SDL before anything.

Quote:
Original post by Kazgoroth
They tell me the Cone3D tutorials are quite good.
I'd have to disagree. Some of the solutions they take are just horrendous. The sprites, for example, they load each tile from a different file each into an array. A better way to do it would be to load one file containing all the sprites into one surface, then blit through each one when needed.

Hrm, I havn't used SDL myself, but a few friends learnt from there - don't suppose you happen to know of a better resource to recommend (apart from the official documentation, which looks quite good)?

mattor    154
The Cone3D tuts are limited in their helpfulness...the real problem for me was that they're written for C instead of C++ and are a bit dated. It would be nice to see someone update those tutorials, but they do have quite alot of information to get you set up and doing certain things. There's a huge jump in those tutorials though so watch out...the first two or three SDL tut's are easy enough, then he increases the complexity exponentially and it went way over my head (I am a beginner so maybe that was part of the problem).
Anyway I've been using Allegro and finding it even easier than SDL to use for my own skill level and comfort. However, I don't see a ton of posts here about Allegro so either people prefer other libraries or else the Allegro people are all over at www.allegro.cc
Just a thought