the operators ? : ?

Started by
7 comments, last by Lenox 19 years ago
hey i write this code: #include <iostream> using namespace std; #define maximum(a, b) (a < b) ? b : a int main() { int max = maximum(5,3); cout << "The maximum off 5 and 3 is " << max << "." << endl; system("pause"); return 0; } but what does this ? b : a do?
Advertisement
It checks the (a < b) condition and returns 'b' if it evaluates to true or 'a' if it's false.
but i dont know where the "?" and ":" is for?
The ? : is one operator, just like + or - but it has 3 operands (???). its a bit like and if statement..

<if this is true> ? <return this> : <else return this>
Quote:Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!
In front of the ? there is a condition. If this is true, the value between the ? and the : is given back, otherwise the value following the : is returned.

Example:

int Maximum(int a, int b){  return (a > b) ? a : b;}

is the same as

int Maximum(int a, int b){  if (a > b)    return a;  else    return b;}

Is it now clear to you how it works?
QB 4 EVER
Quote:Original post by jordi_0071
but i dont know where the "?" and ":" is for?
They're used to separate the condition and two possible resulting expressions.

This would be the equivalent C code:
int maximum(int a, int b) { if(a < b) {  return b; } else {  return a; }}
thnx i get it
In C++, please don't use a #define for this, use an inline function (it's safer, and actually part of the language, rather than a text-substitution hack added on afterwards). If you want it to work for all types, you can use a template:

// For example, this way requires a and b to be the same type, but that type could// be anything that is comparable with <template <typename T>inline T& maximum(const T& a, const T& b) {  return (a < b) ? b : a;}

This will almost certainly result in the same generated code as the define in simple cases (it's a little different because you're giving the compiler final say in whether or not it actually gets inlined or becomes a separate function - but trust me, the compiler knows better than you on this), and will avoid weird unexpected results in more complicated cases.

However, for this function specifically, you should be aware that it is already provided as "max()" (there is also min()) in the std namespace, under header <algorithm>. Don't reinvent the wheel (but read this if you're using windows.h).
Also, one more nifty thing you should remember: You -can- nest an ? : statement inside an ? : statement, although it's messy.

Example:

inline float clamp( float A, int B, int C ){     return ( ( A < B ) ? ( B ) : ( ( A > B && A < C ) ? ( A ) : ( C ) ) );};

( QUESTION: Since it is so messy, can I get someone else to maybe nitpick my code and tell me what I should do different please? )

( NOTE: I have that inline'd, since I'm using C++ ( where Macros are generally hated ) )

( NOTE2: Yes, I had to make that code( with the help of EDI, we had to experiment to figure out the best way to nest a ? : statement inside another ? : statement. ), because I was "refactoring" some of the things in the Enginuity series to make it use alternate ( usually custom ) functions that do the same things that the ones from the 3rd party librarys used by superpig. This would remove the need to link to SDL, GL/U/X ( GLU or GLX :P ), or FMOD. ( I only "refactored" the pieces that I saw nifty, and I'll probably end up rewriting the code anyways. ) Anyways, sorry for the long NOTE :P )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement