Read ZBuffer

Started by
6 comments, last by Phy 19 years ago
Is there a way to read from the zbuffer? I'm trying to do pointsprite visibility testing for a neato effect, but can't find anyway to do it.
Advertisement
glReadPixels using the GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT enum.
Kind of a newbie question, but how do I convert vertex coordinates to screen coordinates and a z value?
You can get the screen coordinates by multiplying the vertex by the ModelviewProjection matrix. To obtain the transformed z position of your vertex, multiply the vertex by the Modelview matrix.

z position makes no sense when considering screen coordinates.
I can't get the values to work right, whats the tag for code and I'll post it here?
sorry, don't know how to post code :(
then you should both check out the Forum FAQ [grin]
float mtx[16];			glGetFloatv( GL_MODELVIEW_MATRIX, mtx );			tpos[0] = mtx[0]*ptcl->pos[0] + mtx[1]*ptcl->pos[1] + mtx[2]*ptcl->pos[2] + mtx[3];			tpos[1] = mtx[4]*ptcl->pos[0] + mtx[5]*ptcl->pos[1] + mtx[6]*ptcl->pos[2] + mtx[7];			tpos[2] = mtx[8]*ptcl->pos[0] + mtx[9]*ptcl->pos[1] + mtx[10]*ptcl->pos[2] + mtx[11];			glGetFloatv( GL_PROJECTION_MATRIX, mtx );			tpos[0] = mtx[0]*tpos[0] + mtx[1]*tpos[1] + mtx[2]*tpos[2] + mtx[3];			tpos[1] = mtx[4]*tpos[0] + mtx[5]*tpos[1] + mtx[6]*tpos[2] + mtx[7];			tpos[2] = mtx[8]*tpos[0] + mtx[9]*tpos[1] + mtx[10]*tpos[2] + mtx[11];			float fBuffValue;			glReadPixels( tpos[0], tpos[1], 1, 1, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, GL_FLOAT, &fBuffValue );			if ( fBuffValue < tpos[2] )				ptcl = ptcl->nextParticle;

good thing you can 'try' and edit other peoples posts =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement