Sign in to follow this  
tolaris

Win32: child dialog in a window and the Tab key

tolaris    288
Trying to get the application loop through all items in the 'parent' window *and* all items of embedded child dialog windows when the user presses the Tab key, like this: 1. focus on control_A in main window. <Tab> 2. focus on control_B in main window. <Tab> 3. focus on control_C in 'child' dialog. <Tab> 4. focus on control_D in 'child' dialog. <Tab> 5. focus on control_E in main window. <Tab> back to #1 but can't quite make it work... as soon as the focus enters the child dialog it never leaves it, but cycles just through the controls of child dialog (after step #4 jumps to #3 in the example above) the owner window has WS_EX_CONTROLPARENT extended style. controls in the owner window has the WS_TABSTOP style. the child dialogs have the DS_DIALOG and WS_EX_CONTROLPARENT styles set, controls in the dialog have their WS_TABSTOP as well. controls in the owner window and the dialogs are set as WS_CHILD with the owner window as parent. Looks like it should work... but it just doesn't :/ what am i missing here? ^^;;

Evil Steve    2017
I assume you're trying to do some kind of settings page, like this:
DruinkIM Settings

In that, I create the main dialog with DialogBoxParam, and in WM_INITDIALOG I call CreateDialogParam() for each of the settings pages, setting the main window as the parent, use SetWindowPos(SWP_NOZORDER) to position the child window correctly
and then set the WS_EX_CONTROLPARENT syle with:

// Enable tab control //
LONG lOldStyle = GetWindowLong(m_hWnd,GWL_EXSTYLE);
SetWindowLong(m_hWnd,GWL_EXSTYLE,lOldStyle | WS_EX_CONTROLPARENT);
SetWindowPos (m_hWnd,NULL,0,0,0,0,SWP_NOMOVE|SWP_NOSIZE|SWP_NOZORDER|
SWP_FRAMECHANGED);

Each of the settings pages has the WS_CHILD setting in the resource file, and has no border.

Hope this helps in some way.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
It's not a settings page actually, more of a cross between 3dmax-like rollup control and winXP explorer bar with some extra functionaliy thrown in here and there ^^ (used Johann Nadalutti's control as starting point)

If i put the child dialogs in a 'regular' modal dialog like in your example then it works just fine and like expected. The glitch occurs when the same dialogs are parented to this custom control though, so i guess something am doing in it is to blame. Will need to try giving it a friendly kick here and there >.<