Sign in to follow this  
leo77

3DS loader...

Hi, I was building a 3DS file loader (following a tutorial) but I got an error ( Unknown DIB file format ) during the execution of the program. What is it? How can I solve it? this is the first time Im building a 3DS loader... the tutorial is from www.gametutorials.com thanks in advance

While I have no idea what your talking about I do have a small (3DS related) questing myself:
I 've coded/ported my own 3DS loader (in Java) based on the one from www.gametutorials.com (in the days it was still free) and while most models load fine, some models get split up into several 'pieces'. It seems theres nothing wrong with the model itself because MAX and GLoadX (by Adam Bryant see IOTD a while ago on www.flipcode.org) load it fine.
I always thought all vertices where in world space but this seems false with some models (one of the models with this problem: http://scifi3d.theforce.net/details.asp?intGenreID=10&intCatID=16&key=79)

There's a probability that each set of vertices has their own translation matrix. I think the 3dsmax scengraph's nodes each store their own matrix so that the translation is inherited downwards....

Quote:
Original post by Cybrosys
There's a probability that each set of vertices has their own translation matrix. I think the 3dsmax scengraph's nodes each store their own matrix so that the translation is inherited downwards....

I already expected something like this exists but I would appreciate it if someone could point me to the relevant chunk(s) and how I should interpret this data to get my vertices right.