Sign in to follow this  
d000hg

Multiplying 3 textures on a dual-texture GPU

d000hg    1199
I'm redoing my terrain texturing and colouring system for my heightmapped terrain and have decided what I want to do. But now I've suddenly realised there are problems with getting it to work on the target low-end hardware. I'm hoping someone with better knowledge of D3D render states and texture stage states can suggest something... I have 3 textures which need to be used: Firstly a colourmap which supplies the basic colour over the terrain - mostly greens and browns. This has a resolution of 0.5-1m - not high detail. Secondly I have a set of detail maps, one for each ground type ie grass, pebbles etc. Triangles using these are drawn with vertex alpha so that different detail maps can be blended where grass meets mud for example. These textures are greyscale as the colour information comes from the colourmap - this is just the very small-scale detail. Finally I have a cloud texture. This is a simple greyscale texture which is used to get a slow-moving cloud-shadow over the landscape. The basic output I require is : colour output = cloudmap * colourmap * detailmap. However my target lowend hardware is a TNT2 or GF2 which have only 2 texture units. So I must use more than one pass. However I can't see that it's possible to use alpha blending to multiply the output of the previous pass with the current one. It sees I'm limited to the form: alpha blended output = source factor * source + destination factor * destination. Is it possible to modulate 3 textures in 2 passes? The extra complication is that to blend the detail textures, during this part I need the alpha blending set up a particular way or it doesn't work. Any ideas/tips/advice?

modulate:
SRCBLEND = DESTCOLOR
DESTBLEND = ZERO

ie:
oldcolor * newcolor + 0 * oldcolor

modulate2x:
SRCBLEND = DESTCOLOR
DESTBLEND = SRCCOLOR

ie:
oldcolor * newcolor + newcolor * oldcolor

so, in pass 1 render without blending, detail * colormap.
In pass 2, enable blending, using srcblend=destcolor, and render the clouds.

pass 1:
color = detail * colormap
pass 2:
color = clouds * (detail * colormap)