Sign in to follow this  
Rhaal

Image converting program. Recommended Libraries?

I had a post last night about an image converting program I was making. It started with my brother asking how to view his Warcraft screenshots. This is the second time a "problem" has arisen that brought with it a good programming practice project for me. The first was a small app to switch screen resolutions on my broken(ish) monitor. Anyways... The program (new project) simply took a .tga file dragged onto it and output a .bmp file using SDL and SDL_Image. It worked with a bit of help from Drew_Benton, as all my projects do, and it did what my brother needed. An issue I have with it is the amount of libraries used by SDL_Image. I know enough Windows programming to get a window going with menus and buttons. I want to know what libraries would be useful in making an image converting program. What is used commonly with programs like Photoshop? Is this just done with win32 libraries?

I have never used it myself, but this library looks like what you might need.

Quote:
What is it ?

* The CImg Library is an open source toolkit for doing image processing in C++. It provides simple classes and functions to load, save, process and display images in your own C++ code.
* It is highly portable and fully works on Unix/X11, Windows, MacOS X and FreeBSD operating systems. It should compile on other systems as well (eventually without display capabilities).
* It consists only of a single header file CImg.h that must be included in your C++ program source.
* It contains useful image processing algorithms for image loading/saving, displaying, resizing/rotating, filtering, object drawing (text, lines, faces, curves, ellipses,..), etc...
* Images are instancied by a class able to represent images up to 4-dimension wide (x,y,z,v) (from 1-D scalar signals to 3-D volumes of vector-valued pixels), with template pixel types.
* It depends on a minimal number of libraries : you can compile it only with standart C libraries. No need for exotic libraries and complex dependencies.
* Additional features appear with the use of ImageMagick : install the ImageMagick package to be able to load and save compressed image formats (GIF,BMP,TIF,JPG,PNG,...). Available for any plateforms.
* Additional features appear with the use of LAPACK : link your code with the lapack library to be able to compute eigenvalues or eigenvectors of big matrices. Available for any plateforms.

The library that let's you do all of the saving and such is: ImageMagick which you could look at just using as well. Definitly try out this one first before the other [smile]