• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MatrixCubed

Unity SDL tearing while flipping

This topic is 4834 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, I've been digging around for the answer to a problem with my SDL code. The issue is that tearing occurs when moving sprites and GUI objects around the screen. I've ensured double-buffered video-memory page-flipping was implemented in the rendering code, and I've also tried to forced vsync in my video drivers (though I suspect this is only done for 3d rendered games). This occurs while fullscreen. I've got an nVidia GeforceFX 5200, and the latest (71.84) Detonator drivers. It's not really high priority on my list of things to work on for my game engine, but I thought I would bend the community's ear, in case there is a known workaround for this unsightly artifact. Thanks for your time! :)

Advertisement
This very thing is what made me give up SDL. I never found a way to fix it. It doesn't seem to be a problem when using OpenGL with SDL, but only with the "built-in" 2D support.

edit -- Just to clarify, I was using SDL under Windows. This may not be an issue under linux/mac.

[Edited by - Dave Hunt on March 28, 2005 3:56:16 PM]

Well, the flags are SDL_DOUBLEBUF | SDL_HWSURFACE | SDL_FULLSCREEN

The render function is more or less just SDL_Flip(screen), nothing special

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!