Sign in to follow this  
siliconsurfer

Quake 2 Engine - Any Tutorials?

Why use the Quake 2 engine? There are many other engines that are more up-to-date with millions of other features. They are probably even easier to use then the Quake 2 engine.

I agree on the OGRE sentiment. Just a warning though. OGRE is graphics rendering only. It doesn't take care of physics, audio, game state management, or anything else. It does offer rudimentary input code as part of the reference application layer, but for any real purposes it'll be more or less useless.

My suggestion is learn how to work with OGRE, but look up on the Q2 source all the same.

No, the additional libs shouldn't be a problem. For physics, there's the OgreOde library which ties OGRE and ODE together (who'da thunk it?) in a nicely integrated package for the world and its entities. FMOD is nice for sound, but to deal with 3D sounds requires a bit of trickyness, since you'll need to establish scale on order with OGRE's world units and real-world metres. (This is best dealt with by saying that one unit of measurement on any axis in OGRE is equal to a metre.) Input would most likely be a custom solution, however.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I like the torque game engine.
And I prefer Irrlicht over Ogre, since it Irrlicht is smaller and a bit easier to get started with, imo. :)

Yeah I was looking at the torque engine, and it sounds great. Have any of you guys go experience using it? Is it any good, is the 100$ license worth it?? Whats the learning curve like for it? And if you have developed games with it can I take a peek at them??

Cheers
--
Dave

He asked for quake 2 tutorials and not for complaints. www.quakesrc.org is a good site which has some nice tutorials and also if you look on the forums links to pretty nice quake 2 mod engines which boost up the graphics :)