Quake 2 Engine - Any Tutorials?

Started by
12 comments, last by PinguinDude 19 years ago
Hi, I searched game dev, but haven't found anything useful yet. I was wondering if anyone knows of a tutorial introducing game development with the quake2 engine??
Advertisement
Try www.planetquake.com , I think they have some tutorials there.
My Current Project Angels 22 (4E5)
Why use the Quake 2 engine? There are many other engines that are more up-to-date with millions of other features. They are probably even easier to use then the Quake 2 engine.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
I just thought the quake2 engine might be a good jumping of point, but if you can suggest any more engines which would be better and free I'm all ears.
I'm rather fond of Ogre. It's a graphics engine as opposed to a game engine though (that is, it handles the graphics side of things, leaving you to handle everything else).

If you are still interested in the Quake2 engine check out QuakeSRC.
I agree with Monder, use Ogre instead!
:)
I agree on the OGRE sentiment. Just a warning though. OGRE is graphics rendering only. It doesn't take care of physics, audio, game state management, or anything else. It does offer rudimentary input code as part of the reference application layer, but for any real purposes it'll be more or less useless.

My suggestion is learn how to work with OGRE, but look up on the Q2 source all the same.

Chris 'coldacid' Charabaruk – Programmer, game designer, writer | twitter

It's true that Ogre's only taking care of
the graphics stuff, but I don't think that
it should be a problem to find some libs for
all the other stuff that he might need.
No, the additional libs shouldn't be a problem. For physics, there's the OgreOde library which ties OGRE and ODE together (who'da thunk it?) in a nicely integrated package for the world and its entities. FMOD is nice for sound, but to deal with 3D sounds requires a bit of trickyness, since you'll need to establish scale on order with OGRE's world units and real-world metres. (This is best dealt with by saying that one unit of measurement on any axis in OGRE is equal to a metre.) Input would most likely be a custom solution, however.

Chris 'coldacid' Charabaruk – Programmer, game designer, writer | twitter

I like the torque game engine.
And I prefer Irrlicht over Ogre, since it Irrlicht is smaller and a bit easier to get started with, imo. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement