Sign in to follow this  
Jon2

what Language to learn first,

Jon2    122
What Language should I learn first before c++ or c? Or should I go derict to c\c++? Dose basic teach bad programing habits? Thanks, jon2

micro_mus    145
go with c\c++

it lets you program with high level and low level,
when you want to.

if you get c than most other langs will be trivial
to pick up.

philipptr    260
i learned quite a bit c/c++ yet without problems (i learned c++ and then searched for the differences to c ;) ), only having codet a bit basic before, so if that was your question i would direct start with c++.

about basic, i think things like goto are a bit more popular in basic than they are in c++, but i dont think that its that serious (just try to keep goto out of your code [wink])

Monder    993
I would recomend against C++ being your first language. It can be rather complex and you have to worry about low-level considerations such as memory management. Python would probably be a better choice.

Fruny    1658
I also do recommend python over both C and C++. Learning how to program involves much more than simply learning a programming language, so you really want to pick one that makes things simpler for you.

doho    378
I would say that any language that keeps you programming is good, try some of the suggestions here and stick to what works. I would suggest something other than C/C++ though. Good luck!

thannett    214
I'd go with C, that was my first language. If your looking for a good book to learn it from I'd go with C for Dummies by Dan Gookin, that was my first programming book and I found it to be a good read.

Jon2    122
Quote:
Original post by doho
I would say that any language that keeps you programming is good, try some of the suggestions here and stick to what works. I would suggest something other than C/C++ though. Good luck!

Thanks, Jon

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Jon2
I wil look
into assembly & maby binary

Thanks, Jon
He was joking. ASM is a waste of a beginners' time if you actually want to make something. Python is a great start.

SoulSkorpion    238
Learn any language other than C or C++ before trying either of those. C is terrible for beginners and will teach you terrible habits if you ever intend to learn C++ (and do not believe anyone who tells you that you should learn C first if you intend learning C++!), and it's very difficult to find good beginner level C++ tutorials as the vast majority simply teach "C with classes".

In any case, both are poor languages to learn as a newbie. I've heard good things about Python although I've never used it myself. It's quite possible to learn to program with Java, and Java will teach you excellent habits if you later intend to learn C++, since Java is pretty much C++ with the archaic C stuff and a much of the new (and, for you, unnecessary) complexity stripped out.

Oh, and avoid Perl like the plague ;)

DaCracker    112
I don't think that it would be a problem to learn
to learn C++ as the the first programming language,
I did it myself :).
However, I would recommend you to buy a good book,
because as said before, there are only a few good
tutorials avaliable (for free) on the internet.

Apocryphiliac    223
Just gotta throw this one in from one of the gods of CS:

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration." - Edsger Dijkstra

That may be a little extreme, especially these days, but it's still an amusing thought. I wonder what Dijkstra would say about Python...

Oberon_Command    6086
If you're going to go with QBASIC, use FreeBasic instead. It has the exact same syntax (pretty much) and it is 32-bit. That means that it supports Win32, Linux, DOS32, I think some other OS's too.

On top of that, you can use pretty much any library you want with it (tho with DX you have to make headers and such) and it has a built-in graphics library that works like QBASIC's and also supports OpenGL!

[EDIT]
Quote:

about basic, i think things like goto are a bit more popular in basic than they are in c++

Nobody uses traditional BASIC anymore, so therefore nobody uses GOTO anymore.

Anri    972
I personally would recommend learning C - But don't rush it.

If you take your time and keep practicing writing code then you'll do just fine. Grab yourself a copy of...

"SAMS: Teach yourself C in 21 Days" - by Peter Aitken & Bradley Jones

...and go through it all. Once you've conquered that, you can then move onto C++ with a great foundation.

Best of Luck.