what Language to learn first,

Started by
44 comments, last by Luckless 19 years ago
Quote:Original post by doho
I would say that any language that keeps you programming is good, try some of the suggestions here and stick to what works. I would suggest something other than C/C++ though. Good luck!

Thanks, Jon
Advertisement
I would recommend assembly. maybe binary?
I wil look
into assembly & maby binary

Thanks, Jon
Quote:Original post by Jon2
I wil look
into assembly & maby binary

Thanks, Jon
He was joking. ASM is a waste of a beginners' time if you actually want to make something. Python is a great start.
Learn any language other than C or C++ before trying either of those. C is terrible for beginners and will teach you terrible habits if you ever intend to learn C++ (and do not believe anyone who tells you that you should learn C first if you intend learning C++!), and it's very difficult to find good beginner level C++ tutorials as the vast majority simply teach "C with classes".

In any case, both are poor languages to learn as a newbie. I've heard good things about Python although I've never used it myself. It's quite possible to learn to program with Java, and Java will teach you excellent habits if you later intend to learn C++, since Java is pretty much C++ with the archaic C stuff and a much of the new (and, for you, unnecessary) complexity stripped out.

Oh, and avoid Perl like the plague ;)
-------------"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
I don't think that it would be a problem to learn
to learn C++ as the the first programming language,
I did it myself :).
However, I would recommend you to buy a good book,
because as said before, there are only a few good
tutorials avaliable (for free) on the internet.
Ok, Thanks for your help.

Jon.
You can check out this page to get started:
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

good luck!
Thanks, That's a great site.

Jon
I recommend trying pascal or delphi, the syntax is very easy for a beginner to pick up, thats the way my program taught, pascal/delphi->c->c++

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement