What about Rez?

Started by
4 comments, last by Acapulco 19 years ago
Hi, this is my first post here... Just sorry for the english!! Try to understand :p I decided to post to start a little discussion about the future of games design... I want to take Rez as example because i'm actually enjoying with this game and i got really impressed for the audiovisive immersion it makes on the player... I really think this is great! It don't needs to have a deep story or some extreme-special features, it's gameplay is really simple like oldschool games! Ok i think the designers really wanted to apply some oldschool paradigm on this game (you just have listen at the original soundtrack to get it). My question is: why this game didn't make so many fans? This is a game only for "oldschool games lovers"? Why not a Rez 2? Why nobody else produces Rez-style games? I mean... where is the innovation in the games design? I really got bored by all-the-same games that are coming out lately... Even a great game like HL2 didn't surprise me so much (i talk about gameplay) as Rez did... Do you think that Rez-style games can have their place on the market?
http://fuffi.nj-h.com/
Advertisement
(don't worry about your english, it's better than most native speakers)

I definitely agree. Especially for myself I am very interested in such games. I think the number one project killer for independant developers has to be the content issue. You just can't compete with the large development studios that can devote hundreds of man-years of work from top industry professionals on content creation. Take Morrowind for example, the world is so huge that a team of 10 (a rather large indie group) would never be able to make anything of comparable size.

Random content, procedural content, online play, they are all great ways to get around this content issue.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Rez!!! Absolute genius! One of my favourite games! I got it straight away (and paid through the tooth for it!) after reading a *tiny* review, about 20 words! I wasnt disappointed!

It's simple, uses almost no controls (!), takes no time to complete but it completely compulsive and, as it has been marketed, reaches a new area in video games. I play it because its actually fairly relaxing, looks good and sounds good.

Simplicity is so often over-looked. I've always believed that genuine creativity can often come from extremely cramped or restrictive environments. A slight paradigm I agree but let me explain - I forget how many times I've undone a screw using the point of a knife because I didnt have the required screwdriver. Sure, I could always have found and used the screwdriver but instead I used the knife in a way it was never envisioned, thusly being creative.

I make retro or old-school games, not because I dont have the knowledge or ability to get the knowledge, but because these arethe games I prefer to play and luckily I'm not alone. I forget how many people I know who have bought old Megadrives or SNES's and then trawled around markets looking for old games.

Unfortunately, the reality of it is that these old school machines are extremely cheap and I'd baulk at paying 'new' prices for them. This is why games like this arent made commercially and will stay underground. I dont think anything is wrong with this and completely understand the reasons behind it - but, what I do believe is that there is much to be learnt simplicity and a restrictive environment and that these are lessons that would apply equally well to brand-new, state-of-the-art games.
Is Rez the one that came bundled with a vibrator?

shmoove
Rez didn't sell well (or at all) because it didn't have 'realistic' graphics. Simple as that. The mass market will instantly dismiss it out of hand without even looking at the reviews or the ratings. Sure, some people (like me) will buy it based on reviews or because they like the style, but the damage is already done. No-one is going to deliberatly go for a graphical style that alienates 90% of the market.

capn_midnight: I agree on the content issue, but how is that relevant here?
Quote:Original post by ufinii
I want to take Rez as example because i'm actually enjoying with this game and i got really impressed for the audiovisive immersion it makes on the player... I really think this is great!

Exactly why everyone loves it, I think. It's the closest integration of audio and visual response I've ever seen (Lumines looks close, but I haven't played it yet: there's also something called Funkydilla which isn't released yet but looks very promising.)
Quote:My question is: why this game didn't make so many fans? This is a game only for "oldschool games lovers"? Why not a Rez 2? Why nobody else produces Rez-style games? I mean... where is the innovation in the games design? I really got bored by all-the-same games that are coming out lately... Even a great game like HL2 didn't surprise me so much (i talk about gameplay) as Rez did...

Do you think that Rez-style games can have their place on the market?

I think Rez was marketed very badly. For example, the stuff on the back of the box doesn't mention the close link between the music and sounds in the game, and the action that's taking place. I don't think it's just for "old school" shooter fans - I know many people who don't generally play games, but they like Rez. There's no Rez 2 because the first one didn't sell, and Mizuguchi (did I spell that right?) isn't interested. He seems to have a thousand ideas, so he's just moving on with those instead.
[sub]Now I'm radioactive! That can't be good![/sub]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement