Sign in to follow this  

Just wondering how many people use OGRE and whether or not you like it. I'm looking into using it. What do like particularly about it, or what do you dislike? Would you reccommend another engine? (I've heard this is the best open-source one around). Thanks.

OGRE is only for graphics, it's not a game engine. This could be good or bad, depending on what you need.

There is one other open-source graphics-only engine: OpenSceneGraph (which is different from OpenSG). I'd rank them as about the same quality and feature level; they focus in slightly different areas, but are about on par.

OGRE has reasonable design, although it prefers to get more features done than to optimize the features that exist, so there's significant room for speed-up. It's quite possible to go in and whack at the places where it actually matters in your profile, once you're done, though.

The main design miss in OGRE right now, IMO, is that you can't mix-and-match its scene graph managers, nor can you instantiate more than one copy of each. This isn't likely to be a problem for you if you're just doing a typical game, but some specialized uses would need this.

I'm using it for a project where I got tired of rolling everything myself, although mine was significantly faster and more flexible in what it did, OGRE is a lot more complete and well rounded. Plus it has an active development community.

I think that Ogre is the best graphics engine
avaliable (for free) right now. There's a lot
of other libraries that handles physics,sound,
networking etc. so that should be a problem to
write a game using Ogre.

Been using it for a few eeks for a group university project and found its surprisngly better than I was expecting. My only gripe is the pool quality of tools, although there are many in development which will fill this gap shortly.

I love ogre...

The design is solid, and has tons of features.

Only drawbacks -
1. Limited tools (although this is definately improving, even more so recently).
2. I also don't like the single scene graph in the design, however, ogre does support plug-in scene managers. It is not a difficult task to create a plug-in scene manager that can support a mix of different scene managers (I've done it, and its not hard). So this is really just a minor quib with the design, but work-arounds are not difficult.

In my opinion Ogre has far fewer drawbacks than any other open-source or free graphics engine. And the over-all design is very well thought out, better than many commercial engines I've played around with.

Guest Anonymous Poster
You might want to check out irrlicht (http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net), its not as fast as ogre, but its extremely easy to use and get started with. I use it for now, and i really have no problems. There are little things that need fixing, but overall its a good engine.

I just started using Ogre and love it so far. I've never worked with a 3rd party 3D engine before and love the amount of features it provides out of the box. It was also extremly easy for me to get up and running, and the community seems very willing to help out newbies like myself.

I give it a big "Thumbs Up".