Sign in to follow this  
jake_Ghost

problem while using vector.push_back [FIXED]

well i have made a class for heightmaps which i will use for terrain. I have all of different heightmap files in a vector. heres my struct
struct TERRAIN
{
	BYTE HeightMap[1024*1024];
	int MAP_SIZE;
	int ID;
};

the thing is, when i push a vector with the hieghtmap data, the array is way to big for the vector (i think), so it causes an error. If i reduce the size of the byte array then it will work properly. Is there a way to fix this? thx jake [Edited by - jake_Ghost on March 28, 2005 6:36:43 PM]

I think the problem is probably that, even though vector uses the heap, when you do push_back you pass it a TERRAIN object that was created on the stack. And like Fruny said, that structure won't fit on the stack.

Quote:
Original post by jake_Ghost
its one of those window errors that says send error report or dont send. i am using the code from gametutorials.com for raw loading.

It's a stack overflow. The default stack size is generally only 1MB. A single variable of that type is already bigger than that. Use dynamic allocation (e.g. a vector<BYTE>) instead of an array.

ok well i cant use vector unfortunatly cause it screws up some other code i have so how do i do it normally using pointers and new statment.

can i do it like this??

BYTE *HeightMap;

//and when i push the vector resize the heightmap array
HeightMap = new BYTE[1024*1024];

Here, use something like this:

struct TERRAIN
{
TERRAIN(){
HeightMap.resize( 1024 );
int i;
for( i = 0; i < 1024; i++ ){
HeightMap[i].resize( 1024 );
}
}

std::vector< std::vector<BYTE> > HeightMap;
int MAP_SIZE;
int ID;
};

I tested that, and it works. You should be able to use it just like your other version then.

Quote:
Rayno, i did as u said but it conflicts with other parts of my code so i had to do it another way w/o using vectors unfortunatly.

You can get a pointer to the vector's data by writing &vec.front(). It's guaranteed to be equivalent to a dynamically allocated array.

Quote:
Original post by Fruny
Quote:
Rayno, i did as u said but it conflicts with other parts of my code so i had to do it another way w/o using vectors unfortunatly.

You can get a pointer to the vector's data by writing &vec.front(). It's guaranteed to be equivalent to a dynamically allocated array.

However, a vector of vectors won't be; it's a more complicated beast than that (for one thing, not necessarily rectangular) :) so you'll want to use a single vector<BYTE> I assume, and size it appropriately (1,048,576 elements).

Quote:
Original post by Zahlman
However, a vector of vectors won't be; it's a more complicated beast than that (for one thing, not necessarily rectangular) :)

It'll still be equivalent to a dynamic array... of vectors. Of course, I'm not a big fan of vectors of vectors, at least when it comes to implementing a basic 2D dynamic array. [smile]