[java] Problem with the Comparator interface

Started by
2 comments, last by stormrunner 19 years ago
I have a class called Module, which often needs to be sorted by priority. I therefore make it implement the Comparator interface, thus :

public int compareTo (Module d) {
      System.out.println("Comparing better");
      if (priority > d.priority) return -1;
      if (priority < d.priority) return 1;
      return 0;
}

public int compareTo (Object d) {
      System.out.println("Comparing boring");
      return 0;
}
Unhappily, the prints indicate that it is the second, default method that is being called when I ask for sorting of an array of subclasses of Module. I didn't have this problem before I created the subclasses, so I'm reasonably sure this is the cause. I tried making a compareTo method for each subclass, but it is still the generic method that is called. Does anyone have a good solution?
To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Advertisement
compareTo always takes an Object.
Quote:
public int compareTo(Object o)

Source

Simply cast.
public int compareTo (Object o) {      Module d = (Module)o;      System.out.println("Comparing better");      if (priority > d.priority) return -1;      if (priority < d.priority) return 1;      return 0;}
Well, a Module is-an Object, right? And as noted, it worked before I introduced the subclasses. I hate casting, I want to do polymorphism.
To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Quote:I tried making a compareTo method for each subclass, but it is still the generic method that is called. Does anyone have a good solution?

The problem is, as visage said, that the Comparator interface takes an object. You need to remember that you can't overload the interface method - none of those overloaded methods are defined in the interface so they aren't called. So, for each subclass you need to override compareTo by casting to that specific subclass. i.e. :
// a base classclass Base implements Comparable {   // ... mind blowing stuff goes here   // implement the interface   public int compareTo(Object o) {      // cast to the base      Base b = (Base)o;      // compare and return correct values   }}// a derived classclass Derived extends Base {   // the comparator interface is automatically   // included, and because of Base we can override it   // for this subclass.   // Notice, however, that the method _declaration_ stays   // the same, otherwise it won't be called   public int compareTo(Object o) {      // cast to this specific subclass      Derived d = (Derived)o;      // compare and return correct values   }}

Cheers.

<edit :: fixed source tag.
- stormrunner

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement