Sign in to follow this  
axv4745

Image data reading function with directX

I am trying to write a function that reads in the image data from an image and constructs heightmap data based on it. I previously wrote so that it only works if I read in RAW files. However, I would like to write it so that almost any fileformat would work. One attempt I made is listed below: bool Terrain::readHeightMapFile(string fileName) { //IDirect3DTexture9* myTex; //D3DXCreateTextureFromFile( // Renderer::getDeviceHandle(), // fileName.c_str(), // &myTex); //D3DLOCKED_RECT lockedRect; //myTex->LockRect(0,&lockedRect,0,0); //DWORD * imageData = (DWORD*)lockedRect.pBits; // copy image data to heightmap vector //heightmap.resize( totalVerts ); //int index = 0; //for(int i=0; i < totalVertsPerRow; i++ ) //{ // for(int j=0; j < totalVertsPerCol; j++) // { // heightmap[index] = imageData[i * lockedRect.Pitch / 4 + j]; // index ++; // } //} //myTex->UnlockRect(0); //myTex->Release(); } unfortunatley this does not produce the expected results because I tried it with a png heightmap file and then with the same file except in RAW format and "imageData[i * lockedRect.Pitch / 4 + j]" always seemed to produce values in the range of 4934562 (and as you would imagine this would produce really tall terrain). Considering that my heightmap files were mostly grayish,black, and white this is unexpected. I don't see any reason why this approach wouldn't work and I was hoping someone might know why "imageData[i * lockedRect.Pitch / 4 + j]" is producing such high values.