Tile Engine Sprite Alignment

Started by
0 comments, last by grhodes_at_work 19 years ago
I am in the process of building a tile engine in OpenGL for a 2D game. The way I have it set up, the map is at a 15 degree angle from the screen, while the sprites are parallel (see screens at the bottom of the post). This gives a neat visual effect, but is causing me a major problem. I haven't quite figured out the best way to align the sprites to the map. Should I give every sprite a matrix, and find a collision line to the map, then translate it by that amount, or would it be better to just cheese it and have them be pretty close to touching? I can post some source, if that would help you figure out what I'm doing. I've made some screens and diagrams to show what's going on. Tilted map. Normal, flat map. The way everything is currently set up. The ideal set up. Thanks in advance for any help. [EDIT] ok, i figured it out... ended up just going with matrices for everything, which i didn't really want to do, but meh. looks real purty now :-D [Edited by - N8dunn on March 29, 2005 9:11:08 AM]
Advertisement
Cool. I'm closing the thread, since problem solved. N8dunn PM me if you need to continue it.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement