Static from DLL

Started by
1 comment, last by Cygon 19 years ago
Is there a way I can take a DLL and statically compile it into my executable? I don't want to have to redistribute a paticular DLL with my project, but I don't have the source code or a static lib.
Advertisement
Quote:Is there a way I can take a DLL and statically compile it into my executable?

None that I am aware of.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Under normal circumstances, no. A .dll has more in common with .exe files than it has with .libs, since a .lib only serves as a container for a set of .obj files produced by the compiler.

I know of a single tool which is able to convert .dlls into Visual C++ compatible .lib files, DLL to Lib. Took me quite some tries until the produced .lib files were working properly, thought.

-Markus-
Professional C++ and .NET developer trying to break into indie game development.
Follow my progress: http://blog.nuclex-games.com/ or Twitter - Topics: Ogre3D, Blender, game architecture tips & code snippets.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement