Sign in to follow this  
carl404

wi-fi / scan for IP addresses

Hi, I want to use an ad-hoc wi-fi connection in my game. It's on Pocket PC platform so I expect that there will be several other devices near me. The problem is that the IP address is generated randomly so I don't know what will be the IP of the device I want to connect to. Is thera a way to do a fast scan that would acquire IPs of all that is connected to my local ad-hoc network ??

The usual way to do this on a wired LAN is to broadcast a "I'm here" message to a well-known port. Anybody who cares can then reply (either directed or via broadcast as well) and you have a conversation.

In standard socket lingo listeners need to create a socket and bind it to INADDR_BROADCAST with whatever port you pick. Senders (maybe both sides, it's been a while) need to call setsockopt with the SO_BROADCAST option to enable broadcast support. Broadcast support is UDP only as well.

I don't know how easily that translates to Pocket PC though. I imaging all those devices are a bit different.

You might be able to get away with multicast in this scenario. Again, it probably depends on your device.