Sign in to follow this  
mattor

Allegro memory deallocation

Can anyone tell me what allegro_exit() does NOT free memory for, in other words, which things do I need to delete myself before exiting? I know user-made fonts are one, but are there others?

As far as I know, allegro_exit doesn't free anything unless it was allocated in allegro_init. So, basically, if you loaded it, you destroy it. Not doing so is bad form, even if the library could do it for you.

edit - too slow, once again.

so my user created BITMAP buffer I should free, but not the global screen bitmap?
Also, do I need to delete my user class objects?

I know this is really elementary stuff but I'm a slow learner and I think my memory management is causing my dev-c++ to crash quite a lot. I want to learn how to clean up after myself.

I think the global screen bitmap is released with the allegro_exit() function, but if you made BITMAPs (even if its in a class) you have to release them (in the destructure?).

Unless otherwise noted you should assume that anything you dynamicly create should also be destroyed by yourself. Make it a habbit to always write the code to release any resource right after you've written the code to allocate it.

If you don't know when to release it take a while to ponder it and see to it that you know when to release it before you even create it.

Will save you loads of time in the long run.