[java] j2me

Started by
12 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years ago
Are we doing J2ME posts in here or in the Handheld/Console forum? I'm starting to pick it up, found a brief tutorial, gonna go through it. Didn't notice any tuts on the Sun website, did I just miss them or something? It seems pretty neat. I current have java 5 installed, but I had read somewhere that the WTK2.2 doesn't play well with java 5. Is this true, is it true in general, or is it limited to the new features like generics? It's not a major breaking point, as I still have 1.4.2 installed (just not in the PATH). Anyone do J2ME in Eclipse? I can see that I won't be able to run the programs from eclipse, is compilation a problem, too? Doesn't Sun have a special version of Netbeans (*shudder*) specifically for J2ME?

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Advertisement
Hi, I don't know much about this stuff yet so I can't answer many of your question. I don't see why we couldn't discuss J2ME development here since it uses Java for deveolpment. I guess it just depends on where you think people will be better for answering your question. There are probably Java programmers that visit here that never visit the Handheld/Console forum and visa-versa. As far as learning about mobile phone development goes, this looks good. And this is all I could find from sun and I also saw this Tutorial; all this came from a Google search. Anyways good luck and I hope this will help alittle. Maybe someone else can answer the other stuff.

-Jake

Edit: I cant seem to get my sun link to work, but its the first listing on the google search I did for you.
Quote:Original post by jake2431
Hi, I don't know much about this stuff yet so I can't answer many of your question. I don't see why we couldn't discuss J2ME development here since it uses Java for deveolpment. I guess it just depends on where you think people will be better for answering your question. There are probably Java programmers that visit here that never visit the Handheld/Console forum and visa-versa. As far as learning about mobile phone development goes, this looks good. And this is all I could find from sun and I also saw this Tutorial; all this came from a Google search. Anyways good luck and I hope this will help alittle. Maybe someone else can answer the other stuff.

-Jake

Edit: I cant seem to get my sun link to work, but its the first listing on the google search I did for you.

that's really odd, I had done just that google search, but didn't find that sun tutorial. I had been saying to myself "Sun always has a tutorial path on stuff, wether it's good or bad, it's still there" but for the life of me I couldn't find it.

Of course, this was at 3AM this morning, so that could explain a few things.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Yes, that may explain it. I get blurry-eyed at 12 so at 3 I would be about blind. Anyway, there you go and have fun. Once I learn Java I'll be jumping right into this stuff so I don't mind looking. The J2ME kit is the whole reason I am learning java, or atleast at first. Though now I am growing to like the launguage in general.

-Jake
Quote:Original post by jake2431
Once I learn Java I'll be jumping right into this stuff so I don't mind looking. The J2ME kit is the whole reason I am learning java, or atleast at first. Though now I am growing to like the launguage in general.

-Jake

Ditto. Call me crazy, but the fact that my mobile phone (a Siemens CF62T) doesn't seem to have any downloadable games for it has made me deeply consider making my own, or at least my own applications.
I use Eclipse and Ant/Antenna to do my builds. I have never tried EclipseME because Ant does everything I need it to do.

Eclipse is way better than SunOne studio or JBuilder, from my personal experience. While JBuilder offers support for many vendor-specific plugins (like emulator launchers and automatic packaging), Antenna offers this without being vendor specific.

There are hardly any problems you may encounter that you can't easily solve using Eclipse and Ant, actually.
Judging by the forum sticky I'd say J2ME posts are better suited to the Handheld/Console forum. There are a bunch of useful links here too. (There's a free PDF book in the jasonlam site that is useful when you're starting out.)

Although I guess many J2ME questions are just general Java questions so they could fit here too.

shmoove
Yes, shmoove, though I believe it depends. THIS thread certainly should go into the Handhelds forum, while general questions about Java should definitely go here.

Who knows - maybe one day J2ME really is "write once, run anywhere" ... and we can happily post in the Holy Java Forums of Purity and not cower in the shadows with BREW, GBA, and PS developers like the shabby outcasts we currently are! ;D
Is it just me, or is there no API documentation on the sun website? The first thing I did was look for the class library, but I can't seem to find it. Some of it coincides with J2SE, but even that is changed a bit.

Is it just me, or is there no API documentation on the sun website? The first thing I did was look for the class library, but I can't seem to find it. Some of it coincides with J2SE, but even that is changed a bit.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement