Geforce 4 and lower / User Clip Planes

Started by
1 comment, last by Krohm 19 years ago
Hi All, Is it true that Geforce 4 and lower don't have UserClipPlanes ? ( I mean in Hardware ), I thought this has been a standard feature since ever ?! Cheers, Maddi <edit> Or does my driver suck ? </edit>
Advertisement
Courtesy of #graphicsdev:
< Phantom> glGetIntergerv() with GL_MAX_CLIP_PLANES will return the number of user clip planes support (pg145 Red Book, 4th Ed)

So that should tell you how many clip planes are allowed. As far as whether or not they function properly...well that's a different game.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
I think I've once read that user clip planes are in fact emulated using tex kill and a texcoord gen function.
The same paper (I think it was official from NV) stated that in fact, for each plane, you're losing 1 texture pass.
By sure means, this is the easiest and less expensive way to get a not-so-asked-for functionality so this may make sense, even if the performance would really be sub-optimal when compared to a real clip plane.

So, yes, it could be possible.

Previously "Krohm"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement