• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Input libraries

This topic is 4711 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm starting a project that will be: 1) Input intensive 2) Cross platform (Mac, Linux, Windows) In short, I'm looking for good, lightweight, high performance (in terms of responsiveness) and flexible (in terms of supporting input devices beyond the standard mouse and keyboard). DirectInput is right out (not cross-platform). My eye is currently drifting toward GLFW and SDL. SDL seems a bit of overkill, as all I need is the input. GLFW is a bit more what I'm looking for, being lighter weight, but I worry that it might be a little too light in the input dept. Any comments from those who have used these libraries (or any others that they can recommend provided they meet the above requirements) would be welcome.

Advertisement
i use DirectX under Win32, and the joystick lib under linux. code dump This code could be a bit cleaner, it was kinda ripped out a project long ago and i've never bothered to change it. Works though. Not sure about Mac, i guess the js lib would also be available?

No idea about the JS lib... not a real viable option anyway, as it gets away from the cross-platfrom paradigm.

I use GLFW for my projects, and I love it. I will say that GLFW uses the windows message pump for keyboard and mouse messages. This shouldn't make a huge difference, but I have heard people say that the windows message pump is slow for game input. In the GLFW forum on sourceforge, there is a post on this issue. Just thought I'd let you know.

Slaru

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement