Database-Style File Access in C++

Started by
4 comments, last by daerid 19 years ago
I have recently been working on a project for the IGF (Independant Games Fesival), and I have recently been accessing game data from an SQL database using Transact-SQL. However, I do not wish to use a massive program like SQL when demoing the game. I need to have a demo that works on a single computer, and not have any long distance server-client technology implemented. I am attempting to create a file system in where I can read in a simple .xls file, or just a .txt file as spreadsheet data, and perform simple operations on it like access a line of data, delete a line of data, change a line of data etc. I am looking to see if there have been any tutorials on such a topic, or if there is some type of 3rd party program that works similar to the SQL query language, except for xls or text files. If not I may to write some complex file accessing code to parse data. Thanks for any ideas/help.

--------------------------Vantage: Greenlit on Steam / Independent Games Festival Submission http://www.crystaldragon.com

Advertisement
Well, first of all, there is always MSDE. Which is the desktop version of Microsoft SQL Server. You could also use an access DB, which will let you use a SQL style syntax to query the DB. Personally though, I would just use MSDE.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Also, look at SQLite, it's tiny and the database is contained in a single file that is created by the library at runtime.
SQLite is a good option for - it's an embedded database that uses 1 file per database. All you need to do is include a DLL with your application, no need to install a database server.
Sounds great, I am looking into into SQLite right now, MSDE has several installation failures if you don't have windows set up properly, so that is not a good option for distributing among people.

--------------------------Vantage: Greenlit on Steam / Independent Games Festival Submission http://www.crystaldragon.com

I would definitely say SQLite. If you wanted something more powerful, then go with Berkely DB.
daerid@gmail.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement