• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

racing simulator

This topic is 4713 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am toying with writing a Formula one management game for fun, I am a massive fan and feel there is nothing to play in this field. however I have figured out most of the game design but I am stuck on how to actually code the races. have any of you done anything like this? I am not going to be showing the race just the results lap by lap. how would i do it? do I make a virtual track and get my cars to race around that? or is there some sort of shortcut I can do to simulate it? I am still working out how the engine, tires, fuel and driver are going to be handled over distance. Thanks

Advertisement
Are you looking to just make a racing management game? The player won't be controlling the car at all? (I assume so, since you stated you weren't planning on actually showing a track, just showing stats about the race).

If that's the case, then you aren't really making a racing simulator, which is perfectly fine. You could try and implement some actually driving physics for simulation, but that's unnecessary for what you're trying to accomplish.

My recommendation, look at it from a purely statistical point of view. I'm not sure just how much you're trying to implement from a management point of view, but a comprehensive simulator would include all activities that occur before and on race day in preparation for the race itself. Define a number of stats for your driver, and how you decide to train him off track will affect those stats. Ditto for the car and crew as well. How well the car handles will depend on how much time was spent tuning the car and how good your crew is at tuning. Pit stop times will depend on how much the crew practices pit stops, etc.

yeah its only a f1 team management sim, but I want it to be like football manager games where you can watch the results as it happens.

also do such things like change pit stop startagey etc with a live race.

I am looking at creating a virtual race so that if I decide to add gfx I can later on.

I have come up with a simple xml format for the track. the track will be split into sections, each section can be one of retypes straigh, corner or chicaine.

each section has a length in kilometers and a recommended speed.

I think I will do really collistion dection by spliting the tracks width in to an array.

still in the design mode at the moment.

there are a lot of variables that we determin if a car comes of the track or over takes etc.

should be fun :D

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement