• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
snufer

JCraft. Please check it out and feedback!

This topic is 5005 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everybody. I think now it is time to get some feedback about our project called JCraft. JCraft has now reached pre-alpha status and will soon be available for download... JCraft JCraft is a free cross-platform tilebased real-time strategy game engine completely written in Java. The engine is confgurable and can be used to create games with a wide-range of features specific to your needs. The initial version has been initiated by a software project assignment at the University Of Applied Science Rapperswil (HSR). It has familiarities with the famous strategy game age of Empire. JCraft is Free Software, distributed under the terms of the LGPL GNU Lesser General Public License. The current accomplishment of this project is a successful core system implementation for a real-time strategy game engine. Critical elements that have been solved are: Fast screen rendering in high frame rates using graphically optimized techniques and full-screen mode support in different resolutions. Further implemented features are: Map Construction (Layering), Unit movements, Unit formations, Resource gathering, Pathfinding, Basic AI, Basic I/O handling (Mouse and Keyboard), Simple Persistence Concept, Initial Sound Concept and more... Download the trailers of the JCraft project and check out the development screenshots at nullpointer.ch. Here is an example how it looks: More information about the project can be obtained at http://www.nullpointer.ch/projects/JCraft Note: The quality ain't very good but fair enough... Well the reason is actually the benchmark program that I used to record the video... Vido-Compression: DivX codec For our community:
Further I'd like to announce that a paper has been published that briefly outlines how isometric, real-time strategy games can be created effectively. It covers sections like: -Isometric game construction -Collision detection -Pathfinding -Game-Loop -Fullscreen-Mode issues The paper can be found here Any feedback is appreciated!!! Regards [Edited by - snufer on March 29, 2005 5:54:53 PM]

Advertisement
The game looks beautiful

I couldn't find the newspaper on your site :( Where is it?

Edit: nevermind, found it ;)

Quote:
Original post by Gunslinger RR
That's pretty nice.
How fast does it run? Having to deal with the JVM must slow down speed somewhat (unless you are on a newer computer).

In resolutions up to 1600x1200, with regular laptops having 64MByte Graphic Card, 512MByte DRAM and far less than 2GH CPU! Framerate 20-30.
But we'll enhance it a bit. Let's say we will bring it on a good 30-50
on our target resoultion (1024x768)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!