• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Coleco

2D in OpenGL and MacOSX (Cocoa)

This topic is 4892 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The search feature is down at the moment so I couldn't easily find the information I need. Anyway, I have a pretty cool "2D using 3D hardware" engine in DirectX 9 for Windows. I also have a Mac and I would like for my project to be cross platform. Now, before people start mentioning SDL or any other cross-platform engine, please note that I have a bazillion hours in my Windows project (including the editors in .NET). So, I'm not really looking for a way to program on one platform and compile for both. Nope. I am doing it the hard/stupid way. On the PC, I am using VB.net for my editor and DirectX 9 (in C++) for the engine. On the Mac, I am using XCode 1.5 for my editor and OpenGL in Object-C for the engine. Why? I am MAD I tell you! hehe Since my project (Metroid Classic) is a 2D game engine, I need some tutorials on using OpenGL for 2D tile-based games. (for the Mac) My plan is to make the data from both editors (on the PC and Mac) in a format that either engine can read. I know this is very difficult but I am damn near completion on the PC end and I have just recently gotten a Mac. What would really be cool is just a tutorial for displaying a sprite. Short and simple that I can build on. That's what I did for the PC. I got one sprite going (using the ID3DXSprite) and went from there. Thanks for any help. -cbmeeks

Advertisement
NeHe has Cocoa ports for almost all of the lessons. Those are a good starting point.

developer.apple.com is Apple's developer site, which has pages on Cocoa, OpenGL, and lots of sample code. Apple also has mailing lists for Cocoa/Obj-C, mac game development, and OpenGL.

Some other links:

Getting Started With OpenGL in Cocoa
Introduction to OpenGL
OpenGL for Mac OS

Outside of initialization code, OpenGL on the Mac is pretty much the same as OpenGL on any other system, so general purpose OGL tutorials will work just fine. In other words, NeHe is king.

Quote:
Original post by Evil Bachus
NeHe has Cocoa ports for almost all of the lessons. Those are a good starting point.

More specifically, Lesson 21 is a tutorial that implements a simple game in 2D.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!