• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Muzlack

PSP Development available yet?

This topic is 4884 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
I highly highly highly doubt there will be any SDK availiable to non SONY licensed development studios. You know, as in following its tradition, and the tradition of all console manufacturers

Hmm... it seems to me that you can download some (unofficial?) tools to work with a Nintendo DS. Wouldn't you expect the same for the PSP? I'd like to see if cross platform options are available to a project proposal I'm writing.

I haven't developed a console game before, but is it likely that one could do a fake "port" of a working existing game writted with directx with functionality to be expected from the console (screen resolution, memory limits, etc.) and then license the game to other companies. Basically, what I'm trying to do is design the project I'm working on from the ground up to be able to be distributed to other platforms. I'd like to take any critical design issues into consideration before going much further in development.

Thanks.

Bryce

Guest Anonymous Poster
To prep for console dev:

Wrap everything that will potentially be system-specific in your own API. This includes input, graphics, file access, audio, etc. Don't depend on double-precision floating point. Don't depend on a registry. Don't depend on the availability of a writable disk. Don't depend on infinite RAM. Don't depend on a keyboard or mouse. You'll probably want a scriptable GUI system, or at least one that makes it easy to change around menus (for different screen resolutions). You'll want to write your own memory manager and give it the ability to tell you when you're fragmenting and give you options for avoiding it. As far as graphics, if you do all of your 3D with vertex/index buffers you should be OK.

I suggest practicing on Dreamcast, I guess. They're cheap and it's pretty easy to run your own stuff on them.

I was thinking the psp would be similar too the ps-1, but according to these specs it more closely resembles the ps2. With two additional processors for gfx, I think this passes from the level of 'fun homebrew' to 'too much work to be fun', imho of course.

Guest Anonymous Poster
PSP is pretty nice to work with actually. It'd make a fun homebrew system if anyone got decent tools up. By the way SN systems is an official Sony licensed tool developer. Something like 80% of the North American launch titles were developed with SN's toolchain. Basically... not homebrew.

as time goes by, information will probably come up at psp-linux, there is already some clues on the boards.

This project seems to be related to the dslinux one.

I'll be getting my PSP next week [smile]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!