• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
moussen15

Q about DERR_INVALIDPIXELFORMAT

This topic is 4863 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is this error message returned when you try to create a surface of the "wrong" size? I have a font class that loads its character bitmap into memory. The bitmap it loads is something like 20*93(all chars between '!' and 'z' I think) width and 20 height. The resolution of my game is 680*480 and I think that is the problem. So: -Is it possible to have surfaces that are larger than the resolution?(I know this has been discussed somewhere before but I couldn't find it on Google) -Does DERR_INVALIDPIXELFORMAT get returned for this kind of issue?? Otherwise I find it quite strange because when I create my surfaces I omit the pixelformat caps thingy. I read in the docs that all offscreen surfaces would be the same format as the front buffer, and this worked fine when I used 16 bbp mode, but now that I went for 8 bbp it doesn't.. thanks

Advertisement
You haven't mentioned any specifics about what platform/language you're using [smile].

At a guess, your description indicates DDraw[7]? If I'm right, then there is a CAPS bit that specifies if your device supports wide textures (that is, >640 in your case); if the device doesn't expose support for this then you're going to have to find another way to deal with your data.

However, DDERR_INVALIDPIXELFORMAT, doesn't seem like the most obvious return code for this problem - _NOTSUPPORTED or _INVALIDCALL is what I'd expect.

Your best bet is to check the documentation for the function call thats throwing you this value, and see what remarks its got - see if they give you any clues.

Remember that 8bpp requires palettes and a little bit more loving care-and-attention to work properly, so you could just be masking a bigger problem with this error...

hth
Jack

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!