• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

problems starting

This topic is 4707 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hy, I am having a problem to start using Directx. I've introduced myself with some tutorials in VisualC, but got problems when trying to make anything. For example: when I am trying to create an 3D object like LPDIRECT3D object = NULL; ... object = Direct3DCreate8(D3D_SDK_VERSION); it keeps sending me an error: unresolved external symbol referenced in function... I don't get it. What's wrong? [Edited by - lizun on March 30, 2005 5:26:53 AM]

Advertisement
This is a linker error, it means you need to link in a library (or possibly several) to get things working. If you need something more specific you need to post the full versions of the error messages you are actually getting.

this actually IS the only message I receive when compiling it.
(of course there is also linker error : 1 unresolved external)
following code looks just fine (as it should be)
anyway, could anybody tell me which exact library should I link?

Post the full error message you are getting from the linker then (i.e. what external symbol is unresolved).

I've never used DX with C++ but as a random guess to the library you need to link try d3d8.lib.

ah, ok. sorry, cant post full error message, not home, sittin' at school...
still some advice could help.. or actually working sample in VisualC7..

Try load the code from a tutorial, like those from codesampler.com for examples ... try compile those.

If that doesn't work -> you get errors

- You VS must have the correct directories to DX SDK, what VS version do you have?
- Your project must include the correct .lib files like d3dx9.lib and d3d9.lib

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement