• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

OpenAL default HRTF position...

This topic is 4673 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello there, I have noticed that the OpenAL1.0 HRTF position from the openAL.org version is set incorrectly. I've have also noticed that the DirectSound3D HRTF is the same way. The OnAxis position of the polar pattern is 90 degrees offaxis aiming down when it should be facing forward where the avatar is looking. It should also be LINKED to to the players eyes and it is not, it is locked in its postion. The whole sphere should be flipped aswell as there seems to be a slightly bright slot about 50-60 degrees offaxis aiming up, Normaly if the onaxis portion of the sphere as on axis to the players view that highfreq spot should probably aiming 230-240 degrees off axis aiming down. This is so it could pick up any sounds right exactly behind you a little bit brighter. Here is an audio example of a game (Tribes2) using the wrong settings for demo purposes, the default openAL lib installed into the garage games TGE engine is the same way: The following is Miles 2D audio API for Tribes2: (no 3D effects) Miles Audio Example The following is Directsound 3D API for Tribes2: DirectSound Example 1-17 seconds - You hear me selecting through various weapons facing straight forward at a 90 degree angle. 18-25 seconds - You hear the chain gun going from straight forward to 0 degrees. (straight up) Notice its muted at first, the goes to less muted sound @ about 20 degrees and goes VERY muted at 0 degrees. 28-35 seconds - You hear me shooting the chain gun from 90 degrees down to 180 degrees. (The floor) Notice its muted at first, then goes to a normal state when aiming at the ground. Ingame audio settings were as follows:
Quote:
API: Miles/Directsound (no EAX) Channels: 2 speakers Samplerate: 22kHz Bitrate: 16bit
Btw if you want to hear a correctly set HRTF for reference play Call Of Duty.(Only game off the top of my head that I know of) --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Does anyone have any fixes or correct settings for openAL HRTF? Would the creative libraries have fixes for this problem?

Advertisement
Besides the official openAL mail/forum, does anyone know of any other discussion groups for openAL?

Ok I figured out the problem...

The default position is fine, and the sphere follows where you look.
The problem was that the player avatar itself was an obstruction and/or occlusive to sound. Since the sphere is oriented on the avatar you get some odd tones depending where you look...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement